Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snacks for the woods

Old 08-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snacks for the woods

I have to be doing something while im sitting so I take lots of food usuaully candy bars, honey buns, beef jerkey and just anything I can get my hands on I usually like to make my own deer jerkey and take a BIG bag with me it keeps me occupied for a long time while I sit
Old 08-18-2004, 10:10 PM

Well, first off make sure you get a GOOD breakfast before heading out if possible. Pancakes, oatmeal, eggs, and toast. Something that is going to fill you up and stick with you during the morning. In my pack I usually have a Deli sandwich I pick up on the way to the spot, a candy bar, a Gatorade, and a canteen of water.

On a side note, I find it funny that people are mentioning foods that will have a distinct smell. I hope those of you who mentioned candy bars and jerky didn't spend hundreds of dollars on Scent Lok, what a waste!
Old 08-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to spend the whole day out (from dark to dark) I assume you will be having a morning meal first.
I do just that on occasion... I pack 3 apples, 2-3 frozen bagels (they aren't very big and thaw on stand) a chunk of cheese and/or some lunchmeat or jerky and quart of water. Maybe a candy bar or two..depending on the size of my breakfast.......
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM

P B& J, but be sure to put the peanut butter on both pieces of bread and then jelly in the middle, keeps the bread from getting soggy!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:50 PM

This got me thinking.. does coffee's scent spook deer?
Old 08-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 bottles of apple juice and 2 bottles of water, (16 ounce each). peanuts, chocolate, ginger snap cookies, apples(pre sliced), fig newtons.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Good old PB&Js and some apples to munch .
Old 08-19-2004, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like a lot of us take the same things. I do not take coffee because of the smell and I always eat an apple before I get to my stand to cover the coffee smell on my breadth. I also take PB&J or ham sandwiches, apples, cut up fruit, nuts, lots of water, pop tarts taken out of the foil pack, anything that will keep me in my stand. Food also helps me keep warm. When I start to get a chill I'll eat something. That seems to give my body that extra boost to stick it out longer.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually pack fruit and granola bars with me to munch on while hunting. Nothing like a juicy apple to bite into while deer hunting. Just a question though if i throw the core on the ground but im not intending it to be bait could it still be considered baiting???
Old 08-19-2004, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

zak,

You are in for a long day. I hunt all day a lot but I do it later in the year when the days are shorter and the deer are moving more in the middle of the day. I don't think you will see much deer movement except for early and late and you might burn yourself out if you start hunting like that so early in the season. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint

Quick Reply: Snacks for the woods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.