Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

There is a New Member to Our "Club"

Old 08-18-2004, 07:46 PM

Default There is a New Member to Our "Club"

...the club of those hopelessly addicted to bowhunting!

My 13 year old step son has been shooting off and on for a few years and I recently bought him a new "real" bow, which he helped pay for. Now that he has his own bow (he was sharing with his brother) he has been shooting everyday and has been scouting with me all summer. I took him today to a nearby 3D range and he shot great! He kept telling me how much fun he was having and how he can't wait until bow season.

I have a nice 6 point that I'm going to try to put him on for his first bow kill, but I know he'll be happy with whatever comes along. Can't wait to see him draw back on his first deer!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 AM

Default RE: There is a New Member to Our "Club"

ORIGINAL: springgobbler

...the club of those hopelessly addicted to bowhunting!

My 13 year old step son has been shooting off and on for a few years and I recently bought him a new "real" bow, which he helped pay for. Now that he has his own bow (he was sharing with his brother) he has been shooting everyday and has been scouting with me all summer. I took him today to a nearby 3D range and he shot great! He kept telling me how much fun he was having and how he can't wait until bow season.

I have a nice 6 point that I'm going to try to put him on for his first bow kill, but I know he'll be happy with whatever comes along. Can't wait to see him draw back on his first deer!!!!!!!
Make sure he can estimate the yardage! That's the hardest thing for a yungin' to learn. It's even more important with a bow that has a low draw weight.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 AM

That is AWESOME! Thanks for introducing the kid to this wonderful sport. Strenght in numbers is the key.

I can't wait until I can put a bow in my sons hand. He's two now and gets really excited when he sees daddys bow. I'm sure he'll follow in my footsteps. He's always taking my hunting magazines and pointing out deer.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's great to hear Pat! I know I cannot wait until until I can introduce my son to archery. At the same time I don't want him to grow up too fast!
Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good Pat. My 5 year old shoots with me and has been going to the range with me since he was 2. You can't beat them WV boys. GO 'EERS
Old 08-19-2004, 08:11 AM

He's pulling almost 45 pounds and is exceptionally good at figuring yardage. I would have him step up to the stake and guess, then used the range finder so he could see just how close he was....he hit quite a few right on the head!
And Gutshot...back at ya'! Go EERS!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is great. As you know it is alot of fun to shoot with your kid. As I just mentioned in another post good luck when he finds the 2 legged deer. My 16 year old is spending a lot of time chasing them right now. Good luck getting you son is first deer. I know that is what will make it a great season for both of you.