Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

Old 08-17-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

I saw my dad do it with a gun about 20 years ago, but have never heard of it with a bow. Both were bucks, he just ended up with a forkhorn instead of a pretty nice racked buck. I was watching the whole thing.

I could see how it could happen, though. When I see big antlers, I try not to concentrate on them too much. Don't want to start counting chickens before the hatch. If 2 deer shuffled positions at the wrong time..........it could happen.

Just wondering if it has ever happened to anybody here.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

Woops. *hand raised*... I did the same thing with a rifle when but a lad. I was a watcher on the big drive in doe season... the deer came through the thick pines and bounced into an opening. I scoped them as quick as I could, picked the biggest, then got them mixed up in the scope. I shot and was soon to learn my "big" doe was not so big after all. I almost quit hunting... she was a little deer, I was very young and very disappointed in myself. I learned to make certain from that point on. I really can't see having that problem with the bow. [&:]
Old 08-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I did it about 30 years ago with a rifle. I was in a tree ony 10 feet up, expecting these deer to come from my front. Wham they show up in my lap only behind me. It was one of my usual places... TOO THICK. The first one into the narrow opening was a big doe. She treed me at 15 yards and stood there starring me down while the rest walked single file through the ONLY shooting lane. When they had all cleared she walked on. I had to take my eyes off the deer to turn 270 degrees or there about. Vines prevented me from turning while keeping an eye on them. There was a real nice 8 pt that crossed last. When I got turned around they were 30 yards away in this dang laurel and junk. I could see them moving, feet etc. There was ONE hole. The next to the last deer put his shoulder in it and hesitated.... SHE died right there. The doe had passed the buck when I turned around. She was where he was suppose to be.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

Had a friend do it last year with his bow. He had a large ten chasing a doe back and forth in front of him for about 20 minutes and they just wouldn't stop. Finally they came in behind him. He was in a large tree and couldn't see behind him real well. Well, as a deer came into a better view his head was behind a bush. He saw large horn and the body was huge. He shot...and as the deer ran off, so did TWO others. Anoth buck had snuck in behind him without him knowing. He saw the huge body and a glimmer of a rack and took the shot. The deer ended up being a decent deer. Was actually a 4.5-5.5 year old, but it was busted up everywhere. We actually think he had double main beams on one side, but one got broke off. The deer dressed out at 225lbs. The deer he thought he shot was a wall hanger. This would have been if it was not so busted up.

Jay
Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 PM

Define "wrong deer"! Two years ago I shot a less than expected size deer when it came in by itself. With nothing to compare it to, I'll say no more![]
Old 08-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

jet dont worry i did the same thing this year....a doe came in be herself and i thought she was a nice size doe......well didnt think that after i got down from my tree..[&:]
Old 08-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope! and I hope it never happen's .

nubo
Old 08-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

me either. i kill all deer if in shooting range as long as it doesn't have spots. i want the meat. gotta love that summer sausage. if and when i am sure i'll get my trophy. but untill then they are all the right deer for me. i just love venison. hey i think i'll go make some stew right now. anybody want some mmmmmmm
Old 08-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I ain't never seen NO deer wearing my tag on it that I'd call the 'wrong' deer. Even if I missed wildly and killed a deer other than the one I was aiming at, I'd figure fate had guided my arrow to kill the 'right' deer. [8D]
Old 08-18-2004, 12:59 AM

I'm lucky to just see one deer to shoot at, much less see enough of them to give me a choice about which one to shoot. Seriously, I never have done it, and it seems like it would be hard to do. But, I can see certain cases where it would be possible. Saw a kid do it on TV one day. Had a great big heard of elk in front of him, and he shot a spike rather than one of the big 5x5's milling around out there. The guide looked at him like what the...

peashooter

Quick Reply: Has anybody ever shot the wrong deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.