Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't hit a the broadside of a barn!

Old 08-17-2004, 03:28 PM

Default I can't hit a the broadside of a barn!

I put 8 of my arrows together and can't shoot straight at all. 6 of them wouldn't spin test, but 2 would. The 2 that would would hit all over the target. One high, low, left, right, and in the middle. I shoot the Gold Tip XT 3555 with a 27" draw and 57 lb dw. Am I underspined?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I can't hit a the broadside of a barn!

Im having the same problem so hopefully someone could help us!
Old 08-17-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have ya'll paper tuned your bows / arrows ?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:33 PM

No I haven't. I am going to do that though. If they go in straight, do you need to tune them. Probably so right?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:42 PM

I'm just about ready to throw my bow in the road![:@]
Old 08-17-2004, 03:46 PM

F.Y.I. I am shooting a Mathews Legacy, and aside from sighting in have never really done any kind of tuning, and have been shooting what I thought were decent groups. However I started shooting about 200 arrows every couple of nights to try and improve my odds this year in effort to try and minimize excuses, and found that after shooting that many arrows I still was not as much improved as I thought I should be. I tried grip, no grip, and a few other things, and finally I started to doubt myself or my set up. I took the bow down to the pro shop, and had it reserved the cam timing redone, and took it home and looked down the string from cam to cam and realized that the prongs on my rest were about 1/8 inch out of center according to my eye. I recentered the rest, and started darned near splicing arrows from 30 yds. Long story but a worth while one. What a huge difference practice, and tuning can make. JMO
Old 08-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot the Gold Tip XT 3555 with a 27" draw and 57 lb dw. Am I underspined?
YES
Old 08-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'm certainly no expert here, but did you do a powder test to check for contact with your rest? Make sure all your nocks on the arrows are aligned the same way. Pay particular attention to your anchor point and follow-through. Are you anchoring in the same place EVERY time? Are you concentrating on follow-through? What grain of tips are you using? When I am inattentive to my shooting I can spray arrows with the best (or worst) of them. I find that when I am totally concentrating on form etc. I don't have that problem.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:06 PM

I am shooting 100 grain stingers. How do you powder test?

Auther P at what point was I overspined. The shop said that I was perfect. I guess they were wrong. (Gee I wonder why they are going out of buisness.) Would the XT 5575 be good for me?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I'm shooting the 3555 and 5755 at 25" and 60# with no problem. I didn't do paper tune, just the laser setup.

Quick Reply: I can't hit a the broadside of a barn!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.