Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

got some buck forage oats today

Old 08-17-2004, 02:58 PM

Default got some buck forage oats today

My dad picked me up a bag of buck forage oats today. we're going to get the ground dug up tonite and get the field seeded hopefully tommorrow. I'm thinking of planting it paralell to a finger of timber that this big ole 10 point uses and perpendicular to a plot of clover/chicory/rape/others mix we jsut put in to form an "L" shape. The mix we planted is coming in good. I think the chicory or rape came up first(neither my dad nor i can figure out what it is), the clover is a bit slower.

slayer
Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: got some buck forage oats today

Slayer,
I will be planting some regular oats this weekend. I will be putting mine right next to some of the extreme. I couldn't get the forage oats around here and I didn't want to pay the shipping to get them here. The seed oats were only $14 for a 64 pound bag. I have heard the forage oats are much better for deer because they stay green longer. Keep us posted as to how it works for you.
This will probably get moved to the management area so I will keep checking there. Good luck with the oats and that pesty 10 point.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

where did you get your forage oats?
i was planning on getting some and wihunter402 where did you pick up your 64lbs bag of seed oats?

thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Daystalker, I got the oats at our local farmers co-op. They only had a couple of bags left because it is getting too late for farmers to plant oats as a crop. I told him us deer hunters don't plant until mid to late August. He suggested next year I come in earlier to get them or they may be out.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:14 AM

the feed supply place that we get our food plot stuff from carries their own mixes of clovers and chicories, as well Buck Forage Oats. also, the pro shop i go to always has a few bags on hand.

slayer