Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder Pain

Old 08-17-2004, 10:28 AM

Default Shoulder Pain

I began shooting a little over a week ago and I love it! However (don't you love how there is always something else?)...I am experiencing left shoulder pain (I shoot right-handed). This pain is not "soreness" but instead, almost a light strain or sprain. If I lift my arm a certain way throughout the day, it "twinges."

I figure it is due to weak muscles (not that I am a 100-lb weakling...well...140-lb weakling) and perhaps I should do some stretching prior to practice. Right now, I can normally get through about 20-30 shots before my left shoulder is just plain give out. And, it's not that I am pulling too much weight, the draw is no problem...50-55#'s...and I do it with relative ease. The pain starts while at full draw if my arm gets positioned a certain way. Oh, and I am not locking my elbow.

Anyway, I think I've covered all of my bases. I was just curious as to how many of you have experienced similiar pain and, if so, what your solutions were. And if all else fails, I may need to follow the advice of my late grandfather and..."suck it up!"

Let me know...
Old 08-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shoulder Pain

i had almost the same thing when i started shooting back when i was around 14
it was because my shoulders had not yet developed enough muscle to hold a bow out to the side straight armed. what you need to do is practice witha 10 pound weight holding it in front of you for about 3-5 minutes and keep it up going longer if you can. also make DAMN sure you stretch out yoru shoulders when you shoot.. most guys dont do stretches for shooting and as a physical therapist, i can tell you that no matter what activity you do you should always STRETCH those muscles out before hand.

good luck
Old 08-17-2004, 10:40 AM

Your probly damaging your rotator muscles. They are the tiny muscles all around your shoulder joint that are normally not used in the manor of pulling (in your case with your left shoulder "resisting") 50-55 lbs. You should probly lay off shooting for a week or two and then see if it still troubles you.

I started shooting my bow last winter and I was also working out pretty hard. I damaged some rotator muscles and to this day I cannot bench press without major pain. After running about a mile my shoulder is inflamed with pain. I went through rehab but it didnt help much. It sucks, I can shoot without pain but I cant excersize like I used to, and I am only 24 years old. So take 2 weeks or so off and see how it is from there.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Standsitter cool it for awhile ,there right about your rotor cuff, i blew mine out two years ago and i ca'nt pick up 2lbs with my left hand. I need it to be fix but i'm holding off to many surgeries last year. Good luck rich
Old 08-17-2004, 12:26 PM

Sounds like either rotator cuff muscles, or the rotator itself. Does it hurt to throw, say, a baseball overhanded? If it does, it is almost certainly rotator cuff.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

I had a partial rotator cuff tear my senior year of High School as I was tackling a fullback with one arm. I did rehab and worked out a lot but it has bothered me off and on for a long time (I am 37 yrs old). All of a sudden, my right shoulder has been killing me and it's a combination of picking up kids/sleeping the wrong way/shooting/yard work/etc/etc/etc.

Take a little time off and do stretching before you shoot. Also. get some 2-5lbs dumb bells for side arm raises and front rasies.

Good luck.

BOb