Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Jolly Thank You

Old 08-16-2004, 07:13 PM

Default A Jolly Thank You

I'd like to thank Jolly Archer for his great advice. Check out this strand:

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...2&key=&#719830

I took out my peep and used the technique he described and within 5 shot's my groups were not only closer and more acurate but my field of vision was incredable. I went from shooting all over the place to side by side arrow groups from 30 yards. I'll never go back to using a peep.

Again, Thanks Jolly

Stalker22
Old 08-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Jolly Thank You

Gosh, (*hat in hand), no need to thank me... I am just glad that I could help someone else enjoy the benefits of shooting so accurately without a peep. If only others would try, they'd never go back. GO PEEPLESS... it's works just that darn good. Sure is nice to finally see the whole picture when you pull through a shot and send the arrow into the bullseye, right Stalker? Yesiree. It may be hard on nocks, but it's priceless to gain such confidence in ones ability after such a minor adjustment. Now you can keep shooting 10's till the sun goes down! Nice.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:49 PM

I read the entire thread and have to admit...I don't get it! [&:] I hate using a peep, don't ask me why, I just don't like using it. I'd love to be able to just throw it away and be done with it, but I don't understand what exactely you're talking about. Jolly, if you could, PM me explaining what to do exactely. I'd really appreciate the info!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Jolly, if you could, PM me explaining what to do exactely. I'd really appreciate the info!
I'd like too... although I tried sending some PM's recently and I musta did something wrong. My PM settings denied my message reply. So, I changed the PM preferences under my profile but it still didn't work. I'd be glad to send you an email if you like... mine is [email protected]. Drop me a note and let me know what isn't working with your setup. We'll git 'er crushing nocks in no time.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys have motivated me to go peepless. I was looking into purchasing a No-Peep but I am going to give Jolly's method a try first.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:54 PM

I'm going to have to try that as well, Jolly. The last couple of years I have had to quit hunting and/or pass up shots before legal shooting time was up because of being in deep woods and not being able to see the deer through my peep. I could see it 'plain as day' without the peep, but when I tried looking through it, everything disappeared into darkness. The theory is sound and the proof is in the pudding from your group of three at 25 yds. Thanks for sharing.

I just hope that people that can not group that well in full sun light with a peep do not think they will become expert shots after ditching the peep. As you have said, your form has to be repeatable, which is what shooting like yours is all about. The peepless method just helps with the absence of optimal light- doesn't it?

-Brad
Old 08-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

You are 100% correct BY23856. The most immediate benefit in going peepless is seeing better. This has a ton of side benefits that are often overlooked. Having the whole sight picture and surroundings in front of you, pin to impact, enhances your ability to shoot confidently AND while in low light situations. Peeps have a myriad of issues. Sure, some of the woes that peeps bring can be overcome. Still, there is no one style of peep that will allow you to see as well as shooting without one.

It seems everyone that buys a bow from the local shop leaves with a peep installed. Most sales to new archers get one without asking. Now, I'm not saying that's bad and I'm not knocking anyone. If you love your peep and put the arrow in the 10, super!

The pin to impact part is what new archers need to understand. This is often is effected by the peep. How many times have you heard a new archer ask, "where did that one go?" when shooting at the local range. Hit the brakes, we need to help that archer understand shooting form. The absence of a peep lets us understand by seeing what is going on around us when we release the shot. We can diagnose tuning and form issues, while we're seeing better. Watching the arrow the ENTIRE way to the target is what we all should be doing. I have found that going without a peep makes anticipating the shot much less likely. This is a hughe plus for novice and advanced archers alike. We see better, therefor we relax during the aiming process as a result AND we effect correct execution of the shot that leads to more arrows in the 10 ring. What better to build confidence than knowing 100% where the arrow is going at the release. Call your shots... take the nock.

Looking through the confines of the peep, for many, CAN result in the dreaded TP syndrome. Go ahead, confine your view, even squint in low light, and then add the pressure of live game. This issue, however slight, is likely to erode our shooting form and our effectiveness. The last thing we need to be doing is rushing the shot.

These are a few things I have found by shooting peepless and do not necessarily reflect the views of others. I only post suggestions to help and will do so as long as my actual testing has returned beneficial results.

Going peepless... it's really worth a second look.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Well, you certainly have my attention. With the upcoming season (Oct. 1st) on the horizon, I'm a little hesitant to make this change. I've printed the thread off though, and just might take a stab at it tonight. Why not?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went ahead and removed my peep sight today. I figured that worse case I'd just reinstall my peep at some point if I didn't like shooting without. I only had time to shoot 3 groups but I found that shooting peepless was easier than I had expected. I shoot with both eyes open and I was basically lining the sight pin with my bow string. My first group I put 4 of 5 arrows in a 2" group at 10 yards. Backed up to 20 yards shot 2 more groups with both having 4 of 5 arrows in a 2" group. I couldn't figure out what was up with the 5th arrow until I realized it was the same arrow every time. So I'll double check that one or replace it if necessary.

I did notice that at 20 yards my groups were about 1" higher than normal. And I also noticed that my tuning gauge on my GFK Infinity is now hitting slightly in the yellow. I'll have to have things checked out at the local shop. It would seem that removing the peep would slightly relax the string which could cause the nock point to change a hair.

Aside from that I did notice more noise from the string after the shot. Right now I have the old version of the BowTech Hush Kit installed but I might look into something else to quiet it down a little.