Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

Old 08-16-2004, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed Blade Broadheads

But seriously,
I have absolutely nothing agaist Fixed Blade Heads, But I think Alot of People shy away from Mechincals based on hear say, when Someone loses a deer they are looking to point the finger...must have been those darn Mechanicals... It couldnt have been my shot placement or a poor Tracking job or as we all know in bow hunting one of those instances where everything was perfect be the end result wasnt.

I've only Ever Lost one Deer and it was with a Thunderhead, but It wasnt the broadheads fault, I could have been shooting a Field tip and if the arrow went where it was suppose too, He'd be deed. Luckily Ole boy lived thru it.

Personally I'm Blaming the Horse Shoe up that 140s Arse. Not only Did he take an arrow from me and live, 1 week later he was at 10yds from my hunting partner and as he drew on him, his release exploded into Pieces.

Basically if you know your set up and select your broadhead accordingly, you can be very successful with either type of head.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html
Old 08-17-2004, 07:35 AM

First of all I will list the fixed blades my bow will shoot right with a field tip, just to get rid of any thought that the bow is not tuned. It is tuned and I can shoot. Magnus stinger, ultimate steel or any one of serval other that size. Muzzy four blade, first cut two blade or just about any other two blade I choose, Steel force. all these fixed blades I can and do from time to time hunt with.

I prefere a Mechanical. I started using a mechanical just to find out if all the claims about them failing were true or false. I can report that I have never had a problem with the mechanicals. So, I don't get why so many others calim they fail. Gee's am I that lucky to have never have had a failure? Nope not lucky, but I am not one to blame the equipment when something might not have gone according to plan.
one left no blood trail and i was thinking of changing to fixed blades the entire time i was looking for her. when i rolled her over, it was a high hit and exit.
the above statement sums up a lot of mechanical broadhead failures. People just didn't
do what they thought they had done. Since they can't find the deer they report what they thought they had done and the mechanical, once again gets a bad rap. Just for your info, if your exit wound is high you are not going to get a good blood trail with any broadhead.
Other reason I use a mechanical is for saftey reasons. I have tendency to cut things with sharpe exposed edges. Myself, bow strings, cables. everything just seems to find that edge. Mechanicals are safer for me.

When things didn't go according to plan, hit one shoulder with a Nap shockwave. pentrated the shoulder hit the spine and down went the deer.

High hit on a deer, never found the deer, nor the arrow. Have pictures of a deer with a strange looking scar where I thought I hit the deer??? Anyway I was useing a Steel force fixed blade broadhead on that shot. Why was the shot high? bad form, looking back don't think I got to the correct anchor point. Doesn't mean the steel force fixed blade failed, it means I failed.

so, to sum it up when deer are lost, and equipment is blamed, It more than likely is not the equipment's fault but rather the shooters fault.

If you take your time to tune your setup, you can use either or both. I find with good arrow placement they all will work. When the arrow placement is not good the results will vary with all of them.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

i use rocket hammerheads and wouldn't trade for anything. the hole they make is awsome. if thunderhead(which i have a bunch of) is going to compete, then they need to make a broadhead that will cut 2.25 inches and not 1.18
Old 08-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BLKLAB

I. I feel they are more accurate with less tuning problems. I practice with field points then with the mechanicle tips. My groups are just as tight and a lot less tuning involved.
just my .02 worth

That's nonsense. Mechanicals are not more accurate than fixed blade heads. They are an excuse for a poorly tuned bow and arrow combo but not at all more accurate. In the hands of a well educated, well professional bow tuner, handler, shooter..........fixed blade heads can and do group as tight as any head on the market including field points.

Now, not all mechanical shooters fall into the catagory of short cut shooters but the majority of mechanical shooters shoot them because they are easier when you don't have the education and or time to fuss with fixed blade heads.

Now the educated shooters/tuners who still choose to shoot mechanicals usually are looking at cutting diameter and things like that.

Regardless of the broadhead you choose, you still have no excuse to not have your bow finely turned, your arrows matched and your heads tuned to the arrows.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use fixed heads and my son uses mechs. I have no problem with the mechs but I was taught in hunters safety when I was 12 never to trust the safety on a gun. The reason was a safety is a mechanical device and mechanical devices are prone to failure. To me it is just one more thing that can go wrong. I will not stop my son from using them it is his choice. His bow shoots thunderheads the same as field points and is tuned right. It is just what he has confidence in and that is important.

Most mechs today are very good heads and will work fine. If you dig deep enough you will find someone who has had a problem with every head and piece of equipment on the market. Like many on this board have stated a quality head placed in the right spot will drop any deer.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched back to fixed this yr just becouse i don`t` get the blood trails i used to. I do admit that it could be from low poundage and ending up with low KE. shot placement is also another part of it. But for any one who says that the fixed just do not fly as well? I shot three montec`s last evening at a range of 45yrds. cutting a peace of tape Know more that a inch in diameter all three times! but you do half to make sure your shooting a well tuned bow and well tuned broadheads to achieve that type of accuracy. On the other hand a good quality mech head Will blow through a deer with no problem....You still need to make sure your bow is well tuned and shooting enuff KE to achieve that gole as well!!!!
Old 08-17-2004, 01:07 PM

I hunt moose so in my opinion fix blade broadheads are the only choice. I wish we`d pass legislation against mechanicals for moose. I think that some of the tuning problems that bowhunters have with fixed blade heads can be attributed to trying to tune a highspeed set-up to shoot broadheads. Most highspeed set-ups are very unforgiving of a mistake in form and if you combine that with a fixed blade head you will get very erratic arrow flight. Moderate speed with a good head AND good form makes for great arrow flight.