Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do I sharpen my "rocket" mechanicals

Old 08-14-2004, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do I sharpen my "rocket" mechanicals

I am having some problems getting my rocket 100grn sharp. Can I achieve a fixed blade edge?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do I sharpen my "rocket" mechanicals

When I was testing mechanicals to see whether or not I wanted to fool with 'em, I had a tough time sharpening the blades. Found out I couldn't sharpen them properly while installed in the ferrule, so I took the blades out and found out that my fingers were too big to sharpen them in the conventional way. Then I got smart. I got out my fly tying gear. Adjusted my tying vise to where it would hold a blade, clamped it down and used a small diamond hone. Worked like a charm.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do I sharpen my "rocket" mechanicals

I talked to a rep at Rocket a few years back an asked how to sharpen the blades on my 100 grain hammerheads he simply explained to replace the blades that they offer a blade replacement for $12.99, I said heck with that. I discovered a way to give the blades a heck of an edge go get yourself a Accusharp knife sharpener can get them at ace hardware for about 7 dollars. Inorder for this sharpener to work good follow my directions to the T, To start the broad head has to be on the arrow with the blades open pick one to sharpen first with the accusharp make 1 to 2 strokes in the direction that the force from the motion of the sharpener keeps the blade open use moderate pressure dont press to hard or you will not get an edge or you can damage the blade it only takes 1 to 2 passes to get a good edge. I personally just do one pass since I dont really see the need of razor blade edge just a good cutting edge is all that is needed.