Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sponsor for Bow hunter education?

Old 08-13-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Sponsor for Bow hunter education?

I was teaching a bowhunter education class tonight, using my personal equipment for display. I called for a 10 minute break and went to the bathroom. While people were looking at the table of display items, someone in the class (adult) dry-fired my FX. I know what to look for -- everything seems to be ok (except for the peep that was split in two pieces). Volunteer instructors are not paid and are forced to use their own equipment for display -- so I wonder, given the circumstances, if Mathews would honor a warranty based on the dry-firing incident if their product was used as an educational tool, or beter yet, would they consider allowing instructors a discount for using thier bows for educational props? I find myself second-guessing my decision to bring (expensive) personal equipment into the classroom[>:]. I teach over 300 students annually - using my equipment for display, and I know that several people have bought a Mathews FX after "examining" my personal bow during a class. I would like to know what bow companies do you think would offer instructors an educational discount, or at least honor a warranty if something like this were to occur. In other words, which bow manufacturers do you think are interested in helping us preserve our sport?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sponsor for Bow hunter education?

Look over your equipment, most of todays bows can take a dry fire, well maybe not a Mathews . Seriously, look it over or take it to your local dealer to check it out. I've seen Hoyts dryfired many times and it only breaks them in. I wouldn't personally dry fire any bow regardless of manufacturer but most come out of it clean.

Is it necessary to draw your bow during class room activities? If not, throw a tie wrap on the cable and string so it can't be drawn, or at least when it's out of your sight.

Good luck with your Mathews.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:39 PM

Default RE: Sponsor for Bow hunter education?

Get yourself a cheap used bow. Like a Whitetaill II. You should be able to find one for around $30 I'd say. NO WAY would I let a bunch of strangers fondle my LX!!