Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Hunt of the Season Last Night!

Old 08-13-2004, 06:59 AM

Default First Hunt of the Season Last Night!

Went out last night for the first hunt of the year, I'm on a crop damage permit here in MD. Had my Dad and my buddy to video. We were set up in a ground blind on the edge of a corn field. We had one doe come around the corner of the field and I got busted. Then right at dark we had a spike and a 4-pointer come in to about 40 yds before veering off in to the woods. I don't believe they busted us and we got them on camera.

I was a little nervous having 3 people in there, especially since my Pops is older and I didn't think he'd be able to sit still or stay quite. He did fine. So why did the doe bust us????? Cause yours truly is the one that couldn't sit still. I was fidgeting and checking out the clearance on my vanes when she popped out.

All in all it was a great evening!!!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First Hunt of the Season Last Night!

I love the first hunt of the season. I won't be going on one until late October by choice. What I love about it is how unorganized I am. From trying to remember everything I need to bring to having problems climbing the tree. Then as you say sitting still and adjusting my movements to be slow and patient.
Some of my most memerable hunts come from my screwing up my hunts.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love opening morning, not alot going on like last years opening day i bet, but i just love being perched in that ol walnut.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Man, opening morning, Trying to remember everything, sitting there just waiting and listening to the sounds of the woods, I think for me the first day is the best, seeing that first deer as he or she walks down the trial to your stand, then wack,,,,, you do something wrong and you get busted, man I love the first day!!!!!!!![8D]
Old 08-17-2004, 05:29 PM

first hunt of the season is always the best i wouldnt be to disapointed that u got busted that just means u get to go back out again
Old 08-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Dominant Buck

So who won the card game?[8D] You had to have some group activity with that many people in a blind.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:33 AM

So who won the card game? You had to have some group activity with that many people in a blind.
I know right. Actually, we were surprisingly still and quite. My Dad sneezed once, gotta give the ol' man a break. The more I think about it though I think my buddy with the camera might have been the one who got busted. He was leaning on a downed tree limb and when he moved the whole limb moved. I'm thinking that may have been what scared that doe.