Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help on a stripped out thread

Old 08-12-2004, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default help on a stripped out thread

i noticed on my brand new bow that the sight bracket hole was partially stripped and i was wondering if i could just take a tap and die set and retap the hole. would that make it better because i really didn't see this a big enough problem to have to send the bow back to the company. what do you guys think.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:44 AM

Default RE: help on a stripped out thread

I guess it's up to you. If you comfortable tapping the hole it should be fine but if you booger it I wound't expect the compant to fix it after that. If it were me and the bow were new I'd have to company fix it. This takes the liability off yourself.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:53 AM

Try a longer screw before you start drilling into your new bow. I had the same problem and a longer screw solved the problem.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

That brand new peice of equipment should go straight back to your dealer for a replacement. You spent good money on a new bow....you expect it to be what you bought, don't you? Not some half finished POS or something that Quality Control overlooked. Send it back!
Old 08-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

well guys i tried the longer screws and it seemed to work fine, the screw was hard to turn at first but when it got part of the way in it went the rest of the way and seemed to tighten up fine.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Down the road if you do have more problems there are stuff that's sold to correct the problem. Just ask you local auto store. One time I had to use a two part compound that was aluminum puddy that harded up after it was mixed with the hardening agent. It harden in like 1/2 hour and then you can drill and tap it. That would be the extreme case. There are thread restoring compounds and helicoils.