Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Game Cam Question

Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Another Game Cam Question

I got my first roll of film developed from my stealth cam last night and was wondering if there's something I can do about Racoons. Every picture but three were taken because a racoon kept tripping the camera. Should I move it up higher on the tree, or am I just going to have to deal with it ? Thanks
Old 08-12-2004, 08:22 AM

Default RE: Another Game Cam Question

Get a hound!

There is really no way to control a wild animal. I'd be willing to bet beacuse you got lots of coon pics that you are set up over bait. Am I correct? If so you may want to consider setting up on the travel routes to to bait. You won't get as many pics and this may not totally cure the racoon situation but at least you won't be set up where the coons are hanging out. You could burn up a roll of film in just a few hours with a coon on bait.

If you can see the runs they are using, set up near (20 yards of less) from the bait and catch them as they pass by. This will also help to keep down the # of pics you get from the same deer(no more 24 pics of 1 doe and her 2 fawns)
Old 08-12-2004, 08:52 AM

yes, your correct, but I'm set up 15 yards down from the feeder on the trail they use to get there. I guess I'll set it up farther down and see how it turns out. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:03 AM

Most common problem around Trail Cams. Nuke um.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:01 AM

Remove the corn and the raccons will remove themselves. The deer will probabely remove themselves too.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I am getting a lot of pics of deer only. No squirrels, or raccoons or even birds.
I am using horse feed as a bait. It works great in dry weather, but when wet it gets soggy and rots, and in a week you have oats and barley shoots growing which the deer also nibble.
This week I ran out and placed plain corn as a bait and I am sure I will get pics of coons and squirrels. I will buy more horse feed this week if that is the case.