Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An obsession to hunting. A few tips?

Old 02-26-2002, 04:34 PM

Default An obsession to hunting. A few tips?

I am a new bow hunter I have been deer hunter for about 4 years (unfortunitly, haven't killed any thing yet) But last year was my first year bowhunting. I am 15 and REALLY into hunting (I think something is wrong with me. HAHA) What is a good sight and arrow rest for a 31" draw length, 65LBS, 65% let off bow? Is there any tips you could give me? Thanks,

Buddy Stippich
Old 02-26-2002, 04:43 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: An obsession to hunting. A few tips?

Several of each to pick from, my favorites are Bodoodle rests (Pro 500 or Pro Lite) and Spot Hog sights (their new Barebones sight is a great hunting sight).
Old 02-26-2002, 04:45 PM

Sorry VA Hunter. I can't help you there, because I'm fairly new to hunting, I'm 13, been hunting for 2 years and bowhunting for 1 year. I have killed 4 bucks, so maybe I'm doing something right. But you might want to visit an archery shop I'm sure they could give you advice on which sights and rests you should use and they will probably give you some helpfull hints and tips too.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:47 PM

Howdy VA hunter, im also 15 and have been bowhuntin for about 6 years now. THe best sight i ahve ever used out of Tru-glo, Montana Black gold and Archers choice i the Archers choice Grizzly. Its a low pofile sight yet indestructable. The pins are short but bright enough to give you that extra 10 minutes of shooting time. They make another sight thats is almost exactly teh same, but is a little bit taller and lets you use more pins. My favorite rest so far hs been the N.A.P. quiktune 3000. Its easy to tune, but is a little ouder than say a bodoodle, but this is solved easliy by putting a little fingernail polish on the ends of the prongs. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-26-2002, 04:48 PM

Howdy VA hunter, im also 15 and have been bowhuntin for about 6 years now. THe best sight i ahve ever used out of Tru-glo, Montana Black gold and Archers choice i the Archers choice Grizzly. Its a low pofile sight yet indestructable. The pins are short but bright enough to give you that extra 10 minutes of shooting time. They make another sight thats is almost exactly teh same, but is a little bit taller and lets you use more pins. My favorite rest so far hs been the N.A.P. quiktune 3000. Its easy to tune, but is a little ouder than say a bodoodle, but this is solved easliy by putting a little fingernail polish on the ends of the prongs. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-26-2002, 05:06 PM

I shoot with a release. The 31" is from a proshop measurement. I know the owner of a huntin and fishin store around where I live.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi there, VA!

You've come to the right place for hunting tips and help with equipment. I would tell you though, that there is no substitute for the advice of a good pro shop. That said, lets get on to your questions. Are you going to be shooting with your fingers, or do you plan to use a release? That will dictate to some extent what style of rest you should use. Also, have you been measured for a 31&quot; draw by a shop, or how did you arrive at that length decision? It is important to be sure your draw length fits you, before you buy your arrows. As to a good sight, most fixed pin sights will do fine for you as a hunting sight. The type with a fiber optic sighting point on the end of them are pretty good for lower light conditions, but I have also used the standard pins with the painted ends. A lot of archery comes down to personal preference and many times there will be just as many opinions about good equipment as there are archers. Answer the questions above, and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.

Shoot straight!

Siskiyou
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 02-26-2002, 05:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-26-2002, 05:17 PM

Hey VA Hunter take your bow and go to a pro shop like Wilcox Bait and Tackle on Jefferson Ave. In case you haven't guessed I used to live in Newport News. there are some great rests and sights on the market, its going to be a matter of choice but take your time and get whats right for you. Some of the pro shops will put them on your bow and let you try them.

Don't get discouraged about not getting anything yet. Just keep hunting and sooner or later you will conect.

God Bless & Good Hunting
LM/NAHC
Member NRA
Member P&Y CLUB
Member QDMA
Member Ducks Unlimited

Quick Reply: An obsession to hunting. A few tips?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.