Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Flinching when pulling release

Old 08-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Flinching when pulling release

How do i overcome this problem. I tend to flinch/snap/jerk slightly when triggering the release. I do the same thing w/ a rifle, whether it's a 22 or 300.

Any suggestions that will help me get over this terrible habit?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Flinching when pulling release

I think you just have to concentrate on your release (just squeeze) every time you shoot until you get yourself out of that habit.

My brother had that problem because he was not resting his finger on the trigger before the shot. I think he was afraid of releasing on accident.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Target Panic........

You are anticipating the shot, and what your mind views as an uncomfortable thing.......the explosion or recoil of the shot. It wants to know when it's going to happen and wants it over and done with.

This is a BIG problem to getting the most out of your potential shooting ability.

You need to learn a surprise release and EMBRACE the surprise. It will startle the beejeepers out of you at first but will get progressively better until you no longer fear it.

There are all sorts of ways to do this but probably one of the best ways is blind bale shooting from very very close (like 6-8 feet) with back tension. Concentrate only on the shot process and not any specific aiming point. If you don't have anything to aim at yuor mind will not panic and try to make you "get rid of" the arrow at any specific moment.
I could fill up a page here about back tension and different ways to overcome target panic.
Try a search on both terms "Target Panic" and "Back Tension" and see what you come up with.
If you have anymore specific questions let em' rip......
Old 08-10-2004, 08:02 PM

I have always been told that when you pull the trigger it should almost be a surprise when it goes off. Try using the tip of your trigger finger, squese it dont pull, or jerk it. One nice smoth motion............BANG.........surprise!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Don't focus on aiming so intently for a while and focus on squeezing off the shot. Keep doing it until it is burned in.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:07 PM

Matt hit it right on. Don't anticipate when you are going to release. Take your release without the bow and practice gently squezing it untill it clicks. Try to apply as little pressure as you can as slowly as you can. Then after about 10 min of that add the bow back. You'll be suprised at how if you concentrate on the target and ignore the release you will elimanate the problem. Also, if you need use a countdown however cout upwards starting at 1 and applying more and more pressure at each count rises until it releases.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Get the tip of your finger off the release. Anchor and pull with the back muscles...not the finger. You have the makings for a good case of target panic started. You might want to dig back and find the thread that was up here about a month ago. Blind bales is the best cure.