Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problem tuned blessing but I need help.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:24 PM

Default Problem tuned blessing but I need help.

So..I was shooting some arrows and kept noticing that I kept having to adjust my sight for high shots. Figured out today that my $10 peep sight (tru-glow) was sliding up and down my string. Pissed off I decided to take a shot without looking through it. To my supprise I had some great shots (however I missed the 1st one completely and destroyed a good arrow). Now my problem is that I've never gone peep-less. How do I keep the string split when I have the sight completly taken out. Or do I adjust the sight in some way. What about kisser buttons do I now need one. Whatever it takes to be consistent again. But with out a peep sight (the less to worry with the better my confidence is). BTW I took off the rubber connecting the peep with my cable to line it up and imedately noticed an increase in arrow speed. Sorry this is so long but I'm kinda excited and need to know what to do now.
Thanks,

Stalker
Old 08-10-2004, 04:40 PM

Default RE: Problem tuned blessing but I need help.

put a new peep in. try a tru sheep or shurz a peep

slayer
Old 08-10-2004, 04:54 PM

Is (was) your peep served to prevent it from moving?
Old 08-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Ahhh, now's my chance! Peep sights... lots of them out there. You already answered your own question on how to fix it... GO PEEPLESS!

Man, I can't begin to tell you how much nicer it is to go without. Low light? No problem. Rubber peep hose issue? No problem. Twisting peep? Yep, no problem. Don't wail rocks just yet... I WAS a peep shooter from way way back. Did I mention from way back? Yeah, peeps. Those special little devices that you really don't need... IF... your form is solid.

I wear corrective lenses and always hated how the peep shrinks the FOV. I've done all there is to do to peeps... drilled 'em, filed 'em, used the C-More peep... blah. I've timed the string outta the press so no alignment hose was required. Blah. The real deal is that you don't need a peep. I'll shoot side by side anyone who uses a peep with no worries. What you do need is a good reference point.

A kisser button like most, a sold anchor with your release hand, (one that is forever repeatable), and THEN, as a third point of reference, I align the inside edge of my bow string, (once at full draw), with the very outside edge of my sight pin guard. This gives an unobstructed view of the pins and everything beyond! It takes a bit of practice, but it can be mastered in little time if you try.

Why did I remove my peep to begin with? I went peepless after an indoor DART competition warm up. It was many years ago. We signed up to compete in a 15 week team tourney and I was having a bad time in the darkened DART room. I reasoned that if I took away the peep reference, so I could see better, I'd need another one to lock the shot back in. Merging the edge of the string to the very edge of the pin guard method was born. Others followed at the local range, evidenced by our teams win in that 15 week event. Taking the individual high average shooter money while PEEPLESS didn't hurt my suggestion to go without a peep either. I'm not bragging, just stating the facts that support going peepless is by no means a handicap.

You can vary the peeps replacement reference point as needed, depending on what you have on your bow. Not all use the same method I employ. Some use a small section of serving tied on the string where the peep had been. They draw and anchor as normal, using the hand reference and kisser, then simply line up the serving where the peep had once resided. To each his own, as there really is no wrong way to do it.

I've been using this method for a number of years... happily no longer suffering the woes of the peep sight. Short of trying some type of rear sight peep eliminator, (I hear they work well), I'll confidently keep putting the arrows where the need to go... clearly viewing the immense advantages without the little problem maker installed. Think about it... what Pro shop these days DOESN'T push a peep? Most people shoot them because they never really thought to try it without one. Don't give up and good shooting!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Here ya go... 3 arrows from 25 yards... almost dark... shot with no peep. Questions?

Old 08-10-2004, 07:51 PM

Jolly could you explain this a bit more clearly.
I align the inside edge of my bow string, (once at full draw), with the very outside edge of my sight pin guard.
are you talking about the outside meaning at full draw the left or right edge of your sight guard? Also, there are $3.95 kisser buttons and $1.50 kisser buttons does it matter which really?

Great shooting by the way!

Old 08-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

A pic's supposed to be worth a thousand words. Sorry it turned out a bit dark...

You can create this view, without torquing, by looking to the inside edge of your string at full draw. I recommend doing the following in conjunction;

1) Use a repeatable and solid hand anchor point.
2) Bring the kisser button to the corner of your mouth.
3) Touch the tip or side of your nose (tip is better), to your bow string.
4) Visually merge the inside edge of the bow string to the outside edge of your pin guard.

Obviously, a square sight pin guard would be ideal for this, but I really am fond of that Copperjohn sight with its teeny 0.19 pins.

As far as kisser button selection, pick the one that feels good to you. I personally use a micro kisser, which by comparison is smaller than a dime. I don't use a head net and never liked the bulky size of most kisser buttons. I hope this helps... don't hesitate to ask if I can be of further assistance. Be jolly and shoot 10's!
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 PM

Awsome! Thanks. That cleared it up perfectly. I had the peep taken out today and added a kisser. I'm nervous about taking a shot with it because I have no idea how my sight will need to be adjusted. I'm going to go to the indoor range at the proshop to get comfortable. However, I won't be able to go until Monday [:@] No since in wasting arrows that fly left or right though. Again thank you for all of the advice and descriptions. I can't wait to get to practice.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:28 PM

Hey Jolly, is that an MQ1? If so, you have great style. I love my MQ1 it's still the best mathews made.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:59 AM

Might want to look into a No-Peep. I took my peep off 2 years ago because of problems I was having and switched to the No-Peep. I now shoot better than ever and no peep problems.

Quick Reply: Problem tuned blessing but I need help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.