Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed gain from peep removal.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Speed gain from peep removal.

if anything you might have lost a couple of FPS .
Old 08-10-2004, 11:39 AM

A lot of it depends on where you put the silencers. The farther out towards your axles you put them the less they will effect the speed. The closer they are to the center, the more they will effect it. If use one and put it in the right spot you may gain a little. Like using a speed nock sort of. I have experimented using one silencer instead of two. It worked, it just looked odd so I put two in anyway.

I use the yarn puff balls and do not see any decrease in speed when they are on. I have never chronoed the bow with and with out for comparison, but my trajectory does not change at any distance out to 60 yards. So if I lose anything it is only a few fps. To be honest I didn't really notice anything by removing my peep either. My peep was pretty light however and didn't have the tubing. I will give up a few fps anyway for the quieter bow and less vibration in my string.

Here is something you may notice that is decieving though. Depending on how you sighted with your peep t may seem like your bow slowed down quite a bit. If you centered each pin in your peep your pins would have been closer together because you actually changed your anchor point minutely at each yardarge. Going to the no peep you will have the exact same anchor every time. Now you will have to widen the gap between your pins. Giving you the perception that your bow is slower. It's not, it's simply a matter of geometry and optics, optical illusion if you will. If you centered your sight housing in the peep it may not change much. It may though because of not having the peep at all. I'm not sure how that would effect it for sure. I always sighted with the pin in the middle of peep irregardless of yardarge. If you use a moving sight and a peep you are pretty much forced to do this any way because the sight housing moves when you adjust the sight.

The no peep takes some getting used to, but it works pretty well when you finally get it set up right and get used to it. It's very sensitive to grip pressure however, at least for me. And I have found the farther you get it away from you the better it works. I ended up putting my sight and No Peep on a 4" extension and it works much better for me. ( I used the old bracket from hindsite extreme.) It's a bit more touchy to set up, but it's more accurate for me. When I was playing with a red dot I did the same thing and liked the results that way as well. It just makes the No Peep more sensitive is all. Sort of like going from a large peep to a small one.

I really wouldn't worry about the speed to be honest. It's not going to be enough to effect anything of real importance. It shouldn't be enough to effect your arrow trajectory. And it won't be enough to be dentrimental to your KE or momentum.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the info, Paul. I've only had the no-peep for a few weeks, so I'm still adjusting to it. If I have troube with consistency I amy take your advice on the extension. I haven't sited in yet, but I'll also make note of the yardage mark separation. Also, I agree regarding the speed. It's not a big deal. More of a curiosity. Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM

I got fed up with my peep today and took off the rubber that pulls it in line. Intantly I could tell my bow was much much quieter and by the sound of the arrow flight I gained speed. Havent checked it yet on a chrono. Tomorrow I'm taking it in to remove the peep totaly. It is a very liberating feeling to shoot without being confined to a peep sight.
As for sound, the string leaches will do a better job than wiskers and wont slow your string down as much. Also if your picky about it like I am I'd add a set of limb savers they work great. Since I'm shooting a bowtech I slid the vibrablocks all the way down and added the limb savers also and my bow got virtually silent. I'm not sure about matthews though.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:19 PM

i switched to the no peep and love it, I already have sims leaches on the string and the bow was real quite before i put on the no peep but after it was on and the peep was taken off there was alot of noise, It ended up being the bracket for the no peep, put a few mini limbsavers on the no peep and my sight and I dont think it is as loud as it was with the peep.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Stalker22
As for sound, the string leaches will do a better job than wiskers and wont slow your string down as much. Also if your picky about it like I am I'd add a set of limb savers they work great.
Is the consensus here that string leaches require frequent replacement? I don't know. Maybe I'll just try a set and see for myself. Also, please excuse my ignorance, but are you talking about the stick-on style of limb savers? What size/type is preferred? Thanks for your input. Good stuff.