Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Acorns falling already...

Old 08-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Acorns falling already...

I thought it was crazy in my neck of the woods as well...acorns are dropping everywhere!!! However, as far as the cool weather triggering an early rut, I still think the rut is strictly triggered by photoperiod....not weather...but I sure would like to be wrong
Old 08-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

strictly triggered by photoperiod
Aint nothin stricly my friend I beleive...............and this is just my opinion and experience as a hunter, that the weather has alot to do with the rut. Now some people.....i wont say no names Believe it has to deal with the light in the day. I think its alot of reason, but i mainly believe in the weather as a prime key to good Rut.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

I have to get out and check them big ol' white oaks!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

TURKEY...I understand how there are some peoplewho tend to believe in weather as a substantial factor as to the timing of the rut. Now I will agree with some peoplein that when the weather is cool AND it is "the rut" then hunting has never been better. Folks see deer everywhere! BUT when it's unseasonably warm and it's the rut then folks never see as much activity because it is generally limited to nighttime activity when it is cooler, so those same folks tend to correlate cool temps to triggering the rut with warm weather stalling the rut. IMO "the rut" is a much more intricate process refined beautifully by centuries of evolution wherein fawns are born at a time when cover is adequate and food is plentiful wherein they can grow and fatten up in time for the coming winter so they don't freeze to death or starve to death. It's much bigger than a couple warm weeks in November could ever hope to impact....just my opinion
Old 08-10-2004, 05:11 PM

I think Wolfens right. Our mares though not deer they are much the same have to be put up in stall for sometimes three months with the light on for 24-7 to bring them in. This tricks their biological clock into thinking it is horse breeding season. We have to do this to ensure January foals. Per AQHRA rules if they foal December 31 they are considered 1 year old the second they hit the ground. IMO deer react in the same manner. It just seems logical. But then again if science had anything to do with harvesting ole mossy then we would all have one hanging on the wall.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have Black Walnut trees in my yard here in Missouri, and they are dropping walnuts in my yard like crazy! Way early