Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with land

Old 08-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need help with land

OK here's my situation. I'm on a sliver of woods that lines a major road on one side and a soy bean field on the other. I've been out a few times scouting so far and it seems that the deer are liking hanging out on the other side of the field (which is not a place I have permission to hunt right now). I saw a real nice 8 ptr there tonight. I may get permission to hunt the whole field but for now I need to concentrate on a way to get deer to my side of the field and into my tree line. They go there occasionaly now and it looks like there was a buck there last rut. But for now it seems like there is some SLOW traffic. I'd say they are between 150 to 200 yards from where I want them.

How would you draw them to the other side?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need help with land

How wide is a sliver ? In ohio we need to be 200 ' from a road to hunt . Is this just used as a travel wrought ? I would try bait and or a decoy. I would place the decoy where the deer can see it from where you want them to come from.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a good distance from the road... a sliver just meant to indicate that it's thin and long... but not too long.

Let me also qualify by saying that all baiting is illegal in Illinois, as far as I know. I can plant plots and that's it.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:43 PM

do they consider it baiting if you are not there hunting at the time or can you not feed the wild animals at anytime sorry i dont know I am from texas
i would say to put feed out for them untill hunting season then stop before the season starts
to get them used to coming to your side of the field if you can find a legal way to do it
Old 08-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

that's what we plan on doing with the clover. It is illegal to do ANY feeding at all at any time. They are trying to prevent spread of CWD that way.

Since a food plot is all I think I can go for, does anyone know of anything that is particularly smelly that we could plant and get those deer to smell from over there?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:57 AM

I'd try making a mock scrape on your side of the fence. Odds are, a good buck will scent check your side of the fence too. He'll keep comin to that scrape if hes the dominant buck.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

how far do you think a mock scrape and a food plot would bring them? They aren't on another side of a fence, they are on another side of the field... about 150 yds away. I got swirling winds that would take scent down that way every once in a while... What are my chances?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 AM

It may not help early season but a good hot doe scent durring the rut may get his attention if the wind is right. If I were you I'd concentrate on trying to get permission to where you're seeing them.
I've been out a few times scouting so far and it seems that the deer are liking hanging out on the other side of the field (which is not a place I have permission to hunt right now).
Please elaborate on right now. Have you asked or are you waiting? If you haven't asked I think the sooner the better. I would bring up the fact you see these deer eating out of the owners fields and offer some assistance. The longer you wait and the closer it gets to the season the more difficulty I think you'll have gettig permission.
If you're looking for a cheap fall crop you could pick up some Whitetail Institute Secret Spot for $10.00. It'll plant 3000sq' and as you can see it's pretty cheap. $5.00 for lime and I'd skip on fertilizer since you're soil is probably pretty fertile in IL. Once the beans are harvested this just may do the trick to pull them in.

I guess the bottom line is you can try to lure them in but taking to them will probably be productive. Get on the horn and get permission