Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 08-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-07-2004, 01:23 PM

Default RE: I know the carbon vs. aluminum issue has been beaten to death..but

Well, I shoot Easton 400 grain axis carbon arrows...and they cost a whole lot but hay, I dont even pay for them. Im lucky enough to be sponsored by easton and rocket arrowheads, because I shoot good scores in IBO.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, they do. The carbon arrows I've checked on a spine tester all have an actual 'spine', one spot around the shaft where it's stiffer than at any other point around the shaft. I've picked up as much as .035" difference in deflection between shafts in the same dozen and as much as .025" deflection in deflection from one side of the shaft to the next on the same arrow! But they usually run in the .010-.015" range within the same arrow. Honestly, some of the worst I've ever seen have been were GoldTip Hunters.

So, before I fletch up, I sort the arrows by spine. Any that are really different from the others, I set aside. Then I orient the nocks to put my cock feather right over the stiffest area of each shaft.

It's amazing that this high tech carbon arrow BS has got us doing the same kinds of things we were doing in the middle of the last century with wood arrows. All those years of shooting aluminum and not having to worry about stuff like that got me VERY spoiled. [&:]
Old 08-07-2004, 03:31 PM

Amen, Arthur!

I remember the wood and the fiberglass days. Thank God for aluminum!

Carbons will eventually get there, but I have heard a lot of negatives that convinces me that carbons are just not there yet; not in the way aluminums are.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Opinions are like, well you know what their like...anyway, you have to buy the high end carbons to get the straightness of aluminum. I currently have a dozen aluminum and about 3 dozen carbons. Aluminum are by far the straightest of the two and yes they are heavier and a little slower. Heavier means better KE and quieter, but they are slower. I don't get crazy with the speed thing since the fastest bow is still way under the speed of sound. Speed is fine, accuracey is final.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:39 AM

you have to buy the high end carbons to get the straightness of aluminum.
I don't think straightness is the main concern. It's spine that seems to give the most concern. It's one reason I'm in the process of building a spine tester. I like the durability of carbon and want to get the best shooting group of arrows that I can.

Arthur, is there any measureable difference in spine on aluminums?