Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wounded deer

Old 08-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wounded deer

I always shake my head when people think a deer should be put down because it appears to hurt to live. All you are really doing is looking for a reason to kill something. Hunters don't really need to do mother natures work, she will take care of the deer in her own way.

mercy killings are not really needed at all when it comes to wildlife.

I strongly disagree with you Bees, last winter my buddy and I were taking down stands a couple weeks after season had ended. We kept hearing dogs yelping and barking, and ever once in a while a loud, long bawl sound. We thought that it was a goat or sheep bawling. This kept going on for 30 minutes or so and we became curious to what it was. We were atleast 1 1/2 miles from any road and house, and we were the only ones that were supposed to be in the property. After a period of time we decided to go check it out. As we came up to the yelping, barking, and bawling, we came up on a pack of medium sized wild dogs tormenting a young button buck. When the dogs realized our presence they darted. The deer tried to take off but couldn't, b/c his 2 front legs were broken and most of his rear end chewed off. At this time, we were a good 30 minute walk away from the truck and a 20 minute drive back to the house. There was absolutely no chance of this deer's survival and there is no way we could have just left it lay there to suffer from starvation, or the dogs nipping away at it until it had a slow miserable death. All we had was a knife, so we both decided to cut his throat. It was a very hard thing to do b/c he just layed there. We did the deed and he expired quickly. If I would have left that guy laying there helplessly, I would have a had a lot harder time handling it than I did from doing what I did. I still wish we would have never had to be a part of it. Although we put him out of his misery, it was still a hard pill to swallow, but I still feel I did the right thing.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Good job MILLERTIME10!! I would do the same thing.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:58 PM

if its on my land and it will die then i would.
but if it wasnt on my land as much as i wouldnt want to i would let it be