Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A Question for all Hunters

Old 08-05-2004, 02:27 AM

Default A Question for all Hunters

Morning folks.

I’m new to this board, as you can tell,
and I wonder if you’d all be willing to answer a question for me? If I've posted this in an inappropriate place, I apologise, and trust one of the Moderators will move it.

Basically, I’d like to know what YOU, as a hunter,
expect from the Owners or Operators of a
Hunting Destination.

What is it that makes the difference between a Dream destination,
and a Nightmare one?

Please mention ANYTHINGthat you feel is relevant,
whether it’s the service, the food, the game or the personality of the PH.

I’m interested in every aspect of your expectations for a great hunting
experience.

Thanks in advance for your input, it’ll be much appreciated.

Be Safe,
and Good Hunting
--Umzingeli

Old 08-05-2004, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: A Question for all Hunters

Cameron Diaz would make it a dream destination I think. Other than that, good friends and food and maybe cell service so I could call home.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:16 AM

Hey Um,

I have never tried going to something you are suggesting. Basically, don't have the expendable cash. Maybe in the future things will change. But I can offer some advice from someone who has travelled around the country some and I'm an avid hunter.

Excellent service is above all the best you can do. That includes help in getting the people there, also assistance in how to transport your rifle or bow or gear via the current airline restrictions. Also, lodging when you arrive to lodging when in the field. Going to a lodge that is dirty, un apealing, and poor staff support will not go over well. When hunting, havng a field camp if you have one that can also be fun. Barbecueing something tastey, beer, and comfortable sleeping arrangements. Also, having a guide that knows the land, where to see what you are hunting, to assistance in butchering and transportation of the carcass, Tto shipping the meat home in a cold container. It needs to be challangeing and fun. If you are using horses or ATV's, both need to be in good shape and ready to do the job.

Remember, it's always the little things that matter the most. Pay attention to the details and people will like that.

Ask people what they liked and didn't care for and try to saisfy different types of people or hunts. Let's say you do a great you in the hunt, they have fun, get a nice sized animal, but when the meat gets to their home, it's spoiled, well, that's a lost customer.

Good luck....

T
Old 08-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

All of the above mentioned.

If you are asking from the guide end of the deal and you are just getting started, I would suggest a meeting with the hunters you have there. Give them a couple days to get the feel for things and have a little cocktail meeting. Ask them what they think and if they have any suggestions, open forum. If you let them know you want to better your place by getting them involved, you may get some repeat people they may not have come back otherwise.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

when it comes down to it the hunting is what the came for so it must be good but having a good cook can really make the difference. When ever we host guests at our farm we always have other things for people to do for example we have a dozen lakes or so with great bass fishing, duck hunting, a 3-D course and other things for the middle of the day if people have a good time they will come back and enjoy it even if they dont kill or see that big buck. just be friendly and that will be one of the biggest hurdles
Old 08-05-2004, 02:31 PM

I've never been on one of these hunts before but plan to some day. The most important things to me would be having a knowledgable guide who worked hard to put me on an animal and taught me a lot along the way.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL:
Please mention ANYTHINGthat you feel is relevant,
whether it’s the service, the food, the game or the personality of the PH.
I think you covered it all there... perhaps adding "knowledgable PH". That's pushing the definition, considering any PH is expected to a professional regardless. Accomodations can make or break a hunting service, so the only suggestion I can make would be in that area. I don't think anyone is expecting a Presidential suite... just something that is clean, warm if need be, dry with adequate space. Restroom / shower facilities would be a must for the bigger money outings... IMHO.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best service i have ever seen was LIL DEN OUTFITTERS, a fella named Clint has quality hunts for ducks and bear and deer, and the best prices i have ever seen. If anyone is interested let me know and ill give you his info.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:31 AM

Thanks folks. This is exactly the kind of input that I'm looking for.

It's much appreciated.
Please don't anyone hesitate to add their thoughts or comments,
everything is seriously considered.

Many thanks

Be Safe and
Shoot Straight
--Umzingeli
Old 08-06-2004, 11:24 AM

It's the little things that someone does that makes all the difference. By that I mean personal attention. Letter of thanks. If a guy left some of his gear at home by mistake don't make him buy it again just loan it for a day or two. Hot cooked meals with an offering of second servings. Can't really explain it better but you just know it when it happens. Focus on the little things as well as the big things. Even if a person goes to your place and they don't have a extremely successful hunt doesn't mean that they can't still have the hunting time of their life. Ohh and davidmil is right Cameron Diaz would definately make me want to "come inside" after a good day hunting. Oooops can I put that pun on here?!?

Quick Reply: A Question for all Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.