Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Article: Will your safety harness kill you?

Old 08-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Article: Will your safety harness kill you?

A serious issue... has anyone read the bowhunting article that spoke of death from what's called "Suspension trauma"? I was not aware of such dangers with harnesses. I formerly would climb to the desired hunting height and then put on a waist type safety belt. Not a good practice. I got older and started using the waist belt when climbing, which was still not the best method. Since then, I only climb with my full harness attached to the tree. I know I'm safer now compared to my old methods, but didn't know death could result from a harness that just saved you from smashing into the ground. The harness may kill you right after it saves you.

Suspension trauma reactions, from what was printed, could save lives by knowing what not to do. The article reads that sitting idle while suspended leads to massive pooling of blood in the lower extremities and eventually death. It was first found when workers suspended by their harness to inspect difficult areas of job sites, were lowered into an area for a short period of time BUT not actively moving about. The workers soon were unconcious due to extreme lowering of blood pressure, unknown to the co-workers above. Unsupervised, the worker expired! An informative article to say the least. I have the actual issue somewhere and can look it up if anyone is interested. Something to think about.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:18 PM

Default RE: Article: Will your safety harness kill you?

Dang what a rip off, I just bought a safty harness. I think I will take my chances and use it.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

The harness is still the best safety method to employ when climbing... the article isn't saying not to use them. It addresses what you should do in the event you are left without help, suspended after a fall.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:22 PM

Right, well I carry a knife on me at all times when I'm in the woods. Both my arms would have to be broken for me to still be in the tree for say... even a half hour after falling. If I couldn't reach a branch, a climbing stick, foot peg, whatever, I would cut the harness and be on my way back to the truck after grabbing my gear. I don't understand why you would remain in the tree after falling...

Old 08-04-2004, 08:28 PM

I have actually practiced falling out of a tree. I would stand on my Block target and put my rope high. I would kick the target out, and I would practice getting back on my stand. The only problem I had was I was covered in pine sap. A small price to pay compared to death.[]
Old 08-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Both my arms would have to be broken for me to still be in the tree for say... even a half hour after falling. If I couldn't reach a branch, a climbing stick, foot peg, whatever, I would cut the harness and be on my way back to the truck after grabbing my gear. I don't understand why you would remain in the tree after falling...
Say you injure just one arm... with the harness holding your weight, you operate a knife in your only good hand with no foot hold and you don't fall? Even if you did have a foot hold, cling on and climb down with one hand? Oh well, let's say you are fit enough to pull this off. Nada to hold onto but your trusty blade as you slash yourself free, woops, your falling.

Now, say your suspended, try as you may can't get back onto the stand and you drop your knife. Ah, but you've got a pal with you that day. He's out of ear shot on the next ridge and you've got no means to inform him of your situation. You figure no problem, we agreed to meet at 0900 and it's 0820... no biggie just hang around. It's comfortable... and not that much time to wait. He will come looking for you when you don't show. That's what the article was about... not that you couldn't free yourself or use other options. Just some safety factors that were good to know. It even included some respiratory matters with harness types as well... but hey, it's all good.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My advice would be as follows.

1. Wear a full body harness. It may not be totally safe but it is far far safer that just and upper body harness or even worse a belt.

2. Attach the tether strap as high above you on the tree as you can. This is important for two reasons. One if you attach it on the same level as your body and you fall out of your treestand, falling just the lenght of that tether strap and then being snapped to a jerking halt in mid air can break bones, permanently injury your back and damage internal organs. Secondly, by attaching it higher up if you fall you will be stopped at a level high enough to reach out and grab your tree stand to pull yourself back up.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes I will hang before I hit the forest floor and become human jello.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

There was a hunter found last year hanging from his tree near here. when he fell the snap from the stop broke his neck some way. Its more fun on the ground anyway
Old 08-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I work in construction and have many licenses and training certificates and one of them is fall protection.

Safety belts can do more harm than good. Safety harnessess can do more harm than good IF not properly worn. It is amazing how many people do not wear one properly. It is also amazing how many people will tie the rope too loose, and if they fall will fall the entire 6 foot distance. One of the things we were taught is a 150 pound man will be jerked by the rope in a sudden stop with 1,000 pounds of force. that is like being hit by a small car going 20 mph.

One other thing to consider is you will not fall straight down, rather you will fall away from the tree and the rope will slam you into the tree. Remember the car hitting you?

The only safe harness is a full body harness that puts you in a sitting postion when hanging from the rope, and it must fit snugly enough that it feels a little uncomfortable when standing, yet loose enough to not stop circulation. The rope must be attached properly also. When sitting and you lean forward slightly you should feel the tension of the rope. This way if you fall, it won't be very far, and the bottom of your stand will be near your chest or shoulders.

Quick Reply: Article: Will your safety harness kill you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.