Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Article: Will your safety harness kill you?

Old 08-05-2004, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Article: Will your safety harness kill you?

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

I have another question, I have the safety harness that comes with the lone wolf and the shoulder straps are not adjustable. They are built for someone a lot taller than me and they are loose and could easily fall of my shoulders. Is there any way to fix this? Could this be a problem? Also I know your supposed to have the safety harness tight when your sitting so it doesn't let you fall too much, but do you move it higher if you stand up that last 30 minutes of prime time?
That's not good. The only way that I would trust a modification to my harness would be to take it to a shoe repairman. Don't laugh, the shoe repairman has the heavy duty sewing gear to properly fasten heavy materials with heavy threading. Who else can run a needle through the sole of a boot and keep on sewing? The tailor won't have the right gear. I've had large ratchet straps shortened at the shoe shop and they are as strong, if not stronger than new. He'll know to sew it both diagonaly and horizontaly so it will support a small trucks weight... but make sure you are there to tell him just the same.

The only way around that would be to buy a new harness, which isn't a bad idea. I'd go with the vest style spoke of earlier in this thread. If it were me, I'd go new... even if you were to save a few bucks, ask yourself, what's your safety worth to you? As far as moving your hold on your tree, I stand most the time, so mine's already fastened high.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm confused! If the harness (Quality harness, not a single strap) is properly fitted and you were to remain in it for a short while its going to cut off your circulation and kill you? Sure glad I did'nt waste my cash on the seat of the pants harness. I see a hugh law suit here. All of those harnesses would be recalled for being defective then. Something does'nt smell right to me?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jollyarcher

To answer thenuge15, the very last line of the article reads... "suspension for more than 5 minutes can be fatal." The editors of this article - Bill Weems and Phil Bishop, note that it was condensed from the March 2003 issue of Occupational Health & Safety, with permission from the Stevens Publishing company. OSHA.
The editors musta edited the original OSHA document because the original says "less than 30 minutes" not five minutes. www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib032404.html
Old 08-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you read the entire document you will see that in order for this to happen you must remain sedentary. In other words not moving. There are other factors involved also.
This entire scenario has really been blown out of proportion and scared some people into not wanting to use a safety harness.

I think this is sorta funny....I used to get that magazine and something just didn't seem right about it so I quit reading it. Now I know what it was, they use scare tactics and sensationalism to make their point!