Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler mounts (previous threads?)

Old 08-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Antler mounts (previous threads?)

Hey guys, I was searching for old threads about mounting antlers at home, I remember reading them at one time but for the life of me cannot locate them again once I search for them.

I particularly remember a few guys who used the spray foam technique and had pictures and good descriptions of how to do it? Can anyone else find the threads. I use plaster of paris over the skull plate but am not happy with the way it forms and want a more consistent look, I want to re-do all of my antlers.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler mounts (previous threads?)

All I found was this....

help with caping? thread
Just peel all the hide off and scrape the meat off as best as you can. If you can clean the skull up pretty good and boil it, it looks pretty good like that. Use a little bleach or peroxide in the water and it makes the skull nice and white. Boiling also makes it a little easier to scrape off any little bits of meat that' s left. Make sure you don' t get the antler bases in the boiling solution or they will turn white too!

If you don' t want the whole skull, cut straight back through the eyes on a line that would end up behind the ears. Then you can boil and clean up this piece of skull.

You can wrap some foam around the skull plate and then cover it with some nice felt or leather pulled tight and sewn together. Take your time doing this and get all the wrinkles out. It can be a pain in the a$$. Then mount it to a plaque. Just drill through the skullplate and insert your bolts before wraping and covering the skull plate. Use two bolts so the whole thing doesn' t spin around on the plaque.

I think you can also get kits that help you mount antlers onto a plaque. Check out Cabela' s or your local sporting goods store.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2004, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Antler mounts (previous threads?)

I'm not sure on previous threads but here is how I do it. To ensure uniform anlter mounts, you can order a foam form from a taxidermist supply company (van dykes, wasco, etc...) Then, get yourself some flocking and some paint on glue too. All togther, you can use the glue and the paint for many antler mounts. Also, you'll need some material that you can harden up around the horns to make a smooth surface after attaching and setting your skull plate and horns to the form. Those can be found in a catolog too.

You are gonna have to cut the skull plate just behind the base of the antlers and clean out the excess brain matter and stuff. After reasonably clean, you can boil it for about an hour and that will make cleaning the rest off easier. After that is complete, set the remaining skull plate and horns on the form. You can screw it in where you'd like to set it. Then use the material you've chosen to cover the plate and smooth it out around the form. Allow that to dry for whatever time it says on the package. Next, get your glue and flocking ready (there are a number of choices of color for the flocking). Evenly paint on the glue to the form. Spinkle the flocking over the glue on the form generously. Let dry for a few minutes and shake off the excess flocking. If there are areas of glue still left, repeat spinkling and shaking. When you are satisfied, let it dry for a few hours. Then, if you chose to use a plaque, you can fasten it to that and hang.

I realize this is a little in depth, but it will look great. Good luck.