Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow sight

Old 08-02-2004, 08:03 AM

Default Bow sight

Just got my Fall Cabela's catalog and was looking through the archery section. I saw that they sell laser or red dot sights similar to gun sights that you can place on your bow. I never knew such a thing existed as I just got my first bow last winter and have been practicing since then for this bow season. In any case, I was interested to know if anyone has ever used one of these? If so, how effective are they? I don't want to start an arguement, but how do people feel about using these? Do they give you an unfair advantage?

In any case, I put out the scouting camera along a trail this weekend and put out a molasses block and lots of canteloupe rinds (with some fruit still left) near it. I drove by the next day and they were all gone - except for the block. Hopefully it wasn't a skunk or racoons. We'll see by the camera.

Also, practicing on Sunday and broke three arrows. I flinched two times in a row from mosquitos and sent the arrows a few feet off into a concrete wall next to the target. The third time it went clean through the target and into a boulder. My father-in-law was watching drinking a few beers and laughed each time which got me to laughing about it too. I guess you probably had to be there but things were not going my way. But the day before I was hitting groups of three within the center circle of the bulls eye.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow sight

A laser sight is illegal in PA and it's also not accepted through P&Y if anyone cares. Is it unethical, probably not but I don't feel it's warranted in bowhunting. My personal opinion only.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

its a cool idea i might try one just for fun but they have some problems i have heard
Old 08-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

A laser sight is illegal in PA and it's also not accepted through P&Y if anyone cares. Is it unethical, probably not but I don't feel it's warranted in bowhunting. My personal opinion only.
There are two different things. There is a laser sight and there is a red dot scope. The laser sight paints the target with a red dot. The red dot scope shines back into your eye. The red dot scope is legal in Pa if I'm reading the law right. The laser is not.

I love mine. It was a Pollington and a little exspensive. I now have seen others in cabelas and bass pro cheaper and they had crosshairs. I would recomend it and other things I've read say it's great for those who wear glasses and/or have trouble seeing.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fieldmouse is right as far as the legality of the matter goes but I still don't see much of an advantage to red dots over fiber optics. I can still see my sights well past legal shooting time with no problem. I think it's more of a gimmick than anything IMHO. However, if you shoot one and think it really helps then that's great. My motto is, "If it gives you more confidence in the stand then it's worth having".