Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Little different spin on a common question

Old 08-02-2004, 10:53 AM

Default RE: Little different spin on a common question

Anything that takes odds away from a clean, ethical kill will cancel my shot immediately.
Well said Jolly Archer
Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 AM

I will (never had yet) take a shot out to 40 yds when all else is perfect. That is MY limit because I practice that shot all year for years and I am confident I will make it happen if needed.

As far as string jump - I am more concerned about that at 20 yds that I am at 40 yds.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:09 PM

I have a self imposed limit of around 25 or 30 yards. It's a combination of equipment limitations and the fact that I don't judge yardage that well. If I know for a fact something is 30 yards away and it's not alert I would take the shot. If I am not sure or the deer is wary, I would most likely pass.

I shoot a short draw length bow with fairly low poundage. My speed and KE is not very impressive, so I try to limit my range with that in consideration.

Paul
Old 08-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

My limit is 30 yards. This limit is a reflection on my accuracy, number one, because I can't guarantee I'll keep every arrow in an 8" circle beyond that range. Number two, since most of my bowhunting is for elk, and I generate only 53 ft-lbs with my rig, I just don't want to play with the possibility of one-lunging a bull and losing him.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:16 PM

My max range is 40 yards. Because of the area I hunt, I'll rarley see a deer or elk out past 40 yards. In the next year or two (probably two) I'm planning on a Mule deer hunt in an area where shots can be as far as 60 yards or more so I'll probably add another pin to make it 50. I'm comfortable shooting long ranges, I can get good groupings, I just don't need to shoot that far.