Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Sap Removal

Old 08-01-2004, 07:21 PM

Default Tree Sap Removal

Put one of my lock-ons in my backyard pine tree to start practicing at 20 ft. I used my new Summit buck-steps (cam-strap type), along with a couple of screw-ins near the top. I set it up yesterday, and today - noticed that the tree sap from the pine was coming out of where I had the screw-in steps near my stand. The sap (a bunch) has run down the tree, and is all over my locking cams and straps on the buck-steps (all 4 of them[:@]). I have placed them in hot soapy water - and they are still sticky as h#$$. Any ideas on how to get this superduper sticky stuff off of my straps/cams without ruining them, or should I just get new straps[][&o]?
Old 08-01-2004, 07:32 PM

Default RE: Tree Sap Removal

Know anyone with a pressure washer? During the summer before I hang my stands I'll take them down to the shop my dad works at and pressure wash our stands. Paint seems to hold up good.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try using some mineral spirits and then wash with soapy water and rinse well.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Good question... we have to use something that isn't going to effect the integrity of your straps... making them weak and such. We also need something that isn't going to leave a lasting odor. I would try a controlled blast of trusty ol' WD-40. It will remove just about anything that leaves a sticky, nasty residue behind and not damage your gear. Cleans off commercial adhesives and even road tar from your car, all while being very economical. Be sure to wash it out well afterwards with soap, removing any lingering odor and so it doesn't create a slip hazard on your stand.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:20 PM

Soak with mineral spirits or turpentine. Worry about deodorizing later.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 PM

Acetone which is found in fingernail polish remover works wonders!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:10 PM

mineral spirits
Old 08-01-2004, 10:31 PM

next time use a hand held torch to seal the areas were you trimmed off the branches works great
Old 08-02-2004, 01:06 AM

Considering that pine tree sap is used to make commercial grade turpentine, and that the sap is very good for starting your campfire, I don't know if I would try to seal off pine tree sap with any type of flame. Might result in another "burning bush."
Old 08-02-2004, 06:05 AM

All very good suggestions - thanks. I will do all of the above and report back.

Quick Reply: Tree Sap Removal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.