Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sunday hunting??

Old 08-02-2004, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Sunday hunting??

Blue laws!

Maine has finally got the door opened. We have approved small game hunting in the Great North Woods on Sundays. It's not exactly what we want but it's a start. We'll take it for now and keep pushing.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well I would be willing to bet that Pa. is like Va. in regards to Sunday hunting and in Va. it is the last vestige of the old Blue laws which were based in religion. It used to be in Va. That you could not buy anything on Sunday except from a pharmacy or a resteraunt, there were very few businesses that were allowed to operate/sell on Sundays, that has all changed now except Sunday hunting, to my knowledge that is the last Blue law on Va.'s books.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

It began with the blue laws but remains because of the number of licensed hunters in PA. The game commision has mulled this over several times and is of the position that 2 days of hunting on the weekend would put uncontrollable pressure on many game animals, thus the ban remains.
Just too many weekend warriors. You can hunt pest animals like coyotes and crows.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may have started as a blue law but as livbucks and others have pointed out, there is probably a better reason now.

If so wouldn't that be a violation of church and state?
There is no church and state law in the constitution.
Besides, these are your peers who voted this down - not "The Man"
If you feel strongly about it, and who wouldn't, I'd start a petition and lobby to have the law changed - put it up for revote - get involved.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:54 AM

Time for no sunday hunting to move on. We have it here also but have removed it from alot of the more remote areas. Hopefully we can do away with it more and more each year. Things are different now, less people into it and less people who have time for it.

B
Old 08-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!! Someone HAD TO mention the ugly Sunday Hunting stuff again! [:@] It is the worlds most stupidest law and I still don't see the logic behind it and never will.

Remember that guy named Darrell from the VA board who made the petition and went so far as making a website in support of it? Don't know if he's still around, but he was cool in my book. He went further than anyone I have heard or read about. If I remember, that petition had thousands of signatures, and he presented it to the VA House and Senate. But, because we still have that ancient "Blue Law", they squashed the petition. [:@]

Edit: I just did a google search and found Darrell's old website on Geocities. It hasn't been updated or anything, but that last entry was Feb 8th (I think) where he mentioned the House Bills for allowing Sunday hunting, getting squashed. Check it out....

http://www.geocities.com/sundayhuntva

Butch A.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:35 PM

Sunday hunting is open here in Manitoba for many GHA's (Game Hunting Areas), however my area is not one of those. I will be away at college again this fall and not being able to hunt Sundays will leave me with 3 or 4 days to hunt instead of 6 or 7. It's kind of frustrating because time is limited. I have scouted 10 times more than previous years and have permission to hunt on over 1000 acres of private land. Couple that with the fact that I have a brand new 300 WSM that I haven't taken any game with, and I am really looking forward to hunting season! It would really be nice to have Sundays to hunt.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sick and tired of the no Sunday hunting as well. If you don't want to hunt on Sunday then be my guest but it should be up to the individual. I heard they were really talking about overturning it here in Pa this year but I didn't hear any more about it. Anyone else hear anything?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: livbucks

It began with the blue laws but remains because of the number of licensed hunters in PA. The game commision has mulled this over several times and is of the position that 2 days of hunting on the weekend would put uncontrollable pressure on many game animals, thus the ban remains.
Just too many weekend warriors. You can hunt pest animals like coyotes and crows.

Dont u think they could just open archery on sundays?? I mean not as much pressure as during rifle season IMO.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont u think they could just open archery on sundays?? I mean not as much pressure as during rifle season IMO.
Sounds great to me!

Quick Reply: Sunday hunting??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.