Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it baiting or simply attracting?

Old 08-01-2004, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Is it baiting or simply attracting?

There was a debate at my camp regarding the use of attractants such as "Secret Spots" Throw and Grow seed product.

It prescribes that you mow the area about 50x50 feet, spray round-up, rake and throw your seeds down in front of your stand about 30 days before the season.

This doesn't seem much different than dumping a bag full of corn in front of your stand, though the seed method may be legal vs. illegally dumping corn. The debate was that though this is similar to food plots, a 50x50 spot is not creating a food source for the benefit of the herd, so it's more like baiting.

Just curious what your take is. It doesn't feel right to me but then again, i don't think it's illegal. I don't have a problem with it, but was wondering how others might interpret the scenario.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:43 AM

Default RE: Is it baiting or simply attracting?

I would think it is more like baiting. However, if it is legal, why not increase your chances of drawing deer? I'm not sure it is legal or what the laws are in your area for that though. If that were an option for me, I would do it.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO any growing plant in not baiting. Yes it is planted to attract deer but many things could go wrong (not enough light, water or low ph). Dumping a bucket of corn or apples what could go wrong? I know guys who dump corn and apples and I have no problem with them doing so. I do not but I do plant food plots. Hunt how you want to hunt and enjoy being outdoors.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I'd have to agree wth Legacy... and at the same time can see how it wouldn't feel quite right. Similarly, lets look at scents. We use them to cover our odor to the deer nose, yet use some that are designed to draw deer to us over long distances. Could this too be considered baiting? If you look at it on the same perspective, yes, I think it could. Ever leave a scent pad in a tree near your stand? Hmmm... ever use a scent candle? The possibility of comparison. Just something to think about.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Follow your heart, if its leagle and you want to do it...go ahead. If you feel it is not fair to do, don't. We could argue forever on ethics. You have to do what your heart tells you is right.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

BAIT n [ME, fr. ON] 1a: something used in luring esp. to hook or trap, b: a poisonous material placed where it will be eaten by usu. wild animals considered undesirable or deleterious 2: LURE, TEMPTATION

Merriam Webster Dictionary

I guess scents and attractants are considered bait ( by definition). Like I have stated before, almost all of us hunters bait to some degree. Hunt how you want (legally), and support your fellow hunters.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt how you want (legally), and support your fellow hunters.
Very well said. Save the fight for the anti's.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

That's true. And remember, to each his own.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:21 AM

I'm all for habitat improvement. By planting secret spot you're not providing a sole food source for the deer in your aera but you are supplementing the browse that they are currently living on. This can definately benefit the deer. I have 2 small plots. 1/2 acre of Imperial clover and aprox 900 sq ft of Powerplant. I've seen first hand how the deer are taking to it. I do believe that they are benefiting from the two small plots.
I do not hunt over the plots though. If you can and it's legal by all means do as you see fit. It's not my place to tell you to dso otherwise. But the way I see it, I do not want to chase the deer from this new food source. I want then to come at all hours of the day and to insure I don't disturb them I hunt in funnels and travel corridor around and near the plots but not over them.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I believe it is no different than hunting over soy beans or corn planted for agricultural reasons. Long term advantages over baiting is that if the seed takes well and you get 4-5 years from the planting, the deer will always have that source of nutrition available to them. Most people don't dump apples or corn year around but a food plot is always there.

Quick Reply: Is it baiting or simply attracting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.