Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it baiting or simply attracting?

Old 01-01-2005, 07:56 PM

Default RE: Is it baiting or simply attracting?

ORIGINAL: jerseyhunter

disagree. It really boils down to whether the CO thinks it's OK or not. So I guess it could be argued that planting food plots to hunt over is baiting.
According to what you said "It is legal to bait deer here in KY. It is not legal to bait dove, and planting agriculture for the sole purpose of shooting doves over it is illegal." So if your baiting deer(planting agricultural) than the sole poupose of that is to attract deer and has nothing to do with dove hunting, thus someone hunting near that agricultural field and had nothing to do with it's planting for deer , thus should be legal.
Is that someone hunting deer or dove? Regardless of whether you planted it or not, it is illegal to hunt dove over it.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Florida it must be planted AND maintained for six months prior to harvesting a deer eating from it. So from the directions you gave it is an illegal act and will land you in jail.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting in my book is using any form of attractant weather it is visual,scent,sound,and or food here in MN you can use all the above minus food. Which i dont agree with. Why can you use a apple scent but not a apple. how come you can use doe urine and pour it on a stump, but you cant use corn syrup on the same stump? How come you can hunt over a corn, hay, or bean field, but you cant hunt over a hay bale, corn or bean pile? What is the difference?If one is leagle then the other one should be or vice a versa.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:41 AM

check out alabama's law, hunting over bait didn't pass again this year,but you can still pour out corn, as long as you have waited 10 days after its all gone, before you can hunt that spot.the big issue was cwd. which is an important one,but for this (cwd) there is no different , pouring it out than hunting over it,according to the book, you can only hunt over a white salt block, if you can plant it, you can hunt over it, plant a corn field and bush hog it, and you can hunt over it, to me thats just the same as if it came form a bag,its all about what the big boys that makes all the decisions want. to me it doesn't matter, i just enjoy being in the woods.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree one on one either way make it simple and let us hunt. We can hunt over a white salt block but dont get caught over a brown mineral block
Old 01-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

My litmus test is availability .
If the deer can get to it and consume it then it's bait , my state defines it the same way although they do allow food plots .
Old 01-02-2005, 01:46 PM

it's both.....u are baiting to attract. No big deal, hunting has its many methods and that is one of them.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:31 PM

I think any food plot no matter how small will benifit more than just the Deer you see or shoot. If you feel bad about it plant your food plot and then set your stand along trails leading to it. Now that would be just like everyone else who scouts and trys to set up alone found travel routes. So if this is baiting then what about hunting along the edge of a farmers field, one big bait pile.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree GTB its not the fact that we feel bad it is the fact that one is leagle and one is not. You tell me what the difference is idont see one. A pile of shelled corn or a corn field what is the difference?
Old 01-03-2005, 06:58 PM

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I want things just as natural as can be. My wife would shoot a deer out of the back yard, and it would be legal, but that ain't hunting to me. If I use a scent, it's one I made or took off the last deer I harvested. I'll hunt the edge of a corn field, but I didn't plant it.

BUT, united we stand, divided we fall. If it's legal and acceptable to your conscious, go for it.

Quick Reply: Is it baiting or simply attracting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.