Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it baiting or simply attracting?

Old 10-01-2004, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: Is it baiting or simply attracting?

What is funny about this in Pennsylvania, is that you can use all the deer 'lure' or 'attractants' that you want, even estrous during the peak of the breeding season, but if you use any type of 'lure' or 'attractants' for bear, that is considered baiting.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:08 AM

WERE IM FROM WE HAVE BAITED FISHING HOLES ,PUT CORN OUT AT OUR STANDS,PLANT VEG.S FOR HUNTING DEER. SO I DONT SEE ANY THING WRONG WITH IT. HELL ALL MY LIFE WE HAVE RAN DEER DOGS.I GEUSS WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO FILL YOUR FREEZER. SIMPLY ATTRACTING
Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 AM

In michigan we can bait, I really don't see the difference between what you are talking about and dumping corn on the ground on a regular basis. Sometimes I think everything but the deer are eating at my bait pile. We bait year round though every couple of days. And it's not a huge amount either, less than what we can use by law.

Pretty much anything other than hiding behind a tree and waiting for a deer to walk by would be considered baiting.

Calls, decoys, scents (basically all bait is), and food would all be considered baiting in my book. You are using a device or chemical attractent to get a deer to go where you want it and put it in a position that makes it easier for you to shoot it.

And if we are not tricking them by some means, we are still hiding in a tree waiting to ambush them. Hardly seems fair does it. However I don't have any moral problems doing it to be honest.

It really boils down to how you personally feel and want to hunt. If your not comfortable using bait or hunting over food then don't do it. If you want more of a challenge, stalk them thru a corn field or something. It really depends on your degree of skill and how much enjoyment you get out of it. If baiting feels like cheating to you, then by all means don't do it. Just try not to put down others that use every legal means there is to harvest a deer. Some really need the help. And I am not saying you are, so don't take that comment personally.

That's my opinion any way.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Good post psycho.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:27 AM

It is baiting, but so what as long as it isn't illegal. All these other things discussed in here are variations of baiting also.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 AM

It really boils down to how you personally feel and want to hunt. If your not comfortable using bait or hunting over food then don't do it. If you want more of a challenge, stalk them thru a corn field or something. It really depends on your degree of skill and how much enjoyment you get out of it. If baiting feels like cheating to you, then by all means don't do it.
Well said. Anyone in here ever tried spear hunting? (I am being serious).
Old 12-15-2004, 01:34 PM

I think it's illegal, but I could have killed a few deer that way out of a stand I think. I am pretty sure it is illegal in MI. I could be wrong though.

Paul
Old 01-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Here in West Virginia we are legal to bait on private ground. The way I see it is it is a way of putting an arrow right in the boiler room. To me that is good hunting. I would rather see that then a deer running around with half an arrow sticking out of its hind quarters because someone has misjudged his yardage or had to shoot through some limbs or brush. I have seen this to many times. I am not a trophy hunter and I do take advantage of what the laws say I can do. If I were in an area that said I could'nt bait Im sure I would use more scents or even try to use a decoy. These are only my opinions and I don't intend to make anyone mad. I do put alot of legaly checked meat in my freezer ( mostly does) and dont feel bad about doing so.Isnt that what its really all about. Shoot strait and good hunting. Huntwv
Old 01-01-2005, 02:53 PM

ORIGINAL: dkeener

It really boils down to how you personally feel and want to hunt. If your not comfortable using bait or hunting over food then don't do it. If you want more of a challenge, stalk them thru a corn field or something. It really depends on your degree of skill and how much enjoyment you get out of it. If baiting feels like cheating to you, then by all means don't do it.
Well said. Anyone in here ever tried spear hunting? (I am being serious).
I disagree. It really boils down to whether the CO thinks it's OK or not. It is legal to bait deer here in KY. It is not legal to bait dove and planting agriculture for the sole purpose of shooting doves over it is illegal. So I guess it could be argued that planting food plots to hunt over is baiting. I would say there is some stipulation about plot size that determines if it is or not.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

disagree. It really boils down to whether the CO thinks it's OK or not. So I guess it could be argued that planting food plots to hunt over is baiting.
According to what you said "It is legal to bait deer here in KY. It is not legal to bait dove, and planting agriculture for the sole purpose of shooting doves over it is illegal." So if your baiting deer(planting agricultural) than the sole poupose of that is to attract deer and has nothing to do with dove hunting, thus someone hunting near that agricultural field and had nothing to do with it's planting for deer , thus should be legal.

Quick Reply: Is it baiting or simply attracting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.