Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever been bit bya snake?

Old 07-31-2004, 08:15 PM

Default Ever been bit bya snake?

I've been hunting for the past 2 years and havent seen a single snake. I live in western Ga. However, not wanting run my luck I've been thinking about picking up some snake proof boots. Do any of you use these? Has anyone ever really needed them or been bitten? Are the $45 boots as protective as the $150 boots?

Old 07-31-2004, 08:21 PM

Default RE: Ever been bit bya snake?

You get what you pay for, as in the boots, and you pay for what you get, being the deer. I would invest in some snake boots if your wandering that far off the map. Can get kind of sticky when you run into a mess of the bad ones.[:@]
Old 07-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you wear rubber boots. If so that is all the snake bite protection you will ever need.

When I was a kid my brother and myself lived in Katy Texas and 5 -6 foot long cotton mouths were pretty common in the ditches and rice fields. Any way my brother stepped on one of these big boys one day while picking up golf balls in a ditch and it bit him hard on his rubber boot twice. They did not come close to getting through.

A good rubber boot is pretty dang tough and pretty hard to penetrate. Even the biggest of snakes we have in America does not have the jaw strenght it would take to bite through good rubber boots.

I will also say that that is the only time we have come close to being bit by a poisonous snake. When it was actually stepped on or we actually handled them.

We handled hundreds off them while growing up and if left alone they won't even bother you. I have handled a number of rattle snakes as well and same goes for them. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone. 99% of the time if they are aware of you they will flee the area.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:29 PM

dude i live in southeast tx and can definitly confirm the cottonmouths. i wear uninsulated lacrosse boots and have been tagged 4 times in them. only one time did any venom get through the boot. luckily the fangs didnt even scratch me. i have been a waterfowl hunting guide for ten years and swear by lacrosse. good luck huntin and if you dont see many snakes give them a try they are super comfy.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Haven't ever run iunto this problem here in Canada,but I guess when hunting in the States this problem could be common.

nubo
Old 08-01-2004, 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: nubo

Haven't ever run iunto this problem here in Canada,but I guess when hunting in the States this problem could be common.

nubo
Should have been for Nubo; Anybody been bitten by a goose?
Old 08-01-2004, 01:03 AM

I live in Louisiana, Ibowhunt in the swamps and lowlands andI never hunt without my snake boots. Rocky "Low Country" I was wearing a pair of lacrosse boots when i got bit by a verry large stumptail moccassin about 7 years ago.....spent several weeks in the hospital, thought I was gonna loose some toes, most of my hunting season was shot, and have a real pretty scar fom it[:-
Old 08-01-2004, 01:15 AM

i was bit as a little kid. me (being a dumbass) i see a snake and i thought it was a black racer. turns out it was a water moccasin. it bit me in the hand in the skin between thumb and index. didnt break skin though[:-]
Old 08-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Do Black Snakes count? If they do, then yes I have.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:28 AM

i too live in west georgia, specifically southwest. the other day while i was scouting i walked up on a nice 4 foot long diamond back rattler. it was not fun. i didnt even realize what it was till it was only a few inches away from my foot. i thought one of the tractors slipped a belt or something so i did not pay too much attention to it. luckily, i think it had just finished shedding so its eyes were still a little hazy. thank god it couldnt figure out what i was so it just sniffed at me. i have never been so afraid in my life. i am now going to always wear snake-bite proof boots as im sure the next time i run into that guy it wont work out in my favor.
raim

Quick Reply: Ever been bit bya snake?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.