Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PVC STAND Complete

Old 07-31-2004, 08:14 PM

Default RE: PVC STAND Complete

I think it looks great. Never seen one made out of PVC before. I would do a little camoflaging around the bottom on the legs to break up the outline, but you did a great job. Keep us posted on how the deer react to it.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Havcon, it may be fine in the short term but over time it may not be too safe. My dad made PVC pipe for over 25 years. We even had a fence made of 4 inch PVC but over a couple of years it would bust pretty easy if it was hit. 3/4 inch water line left outside will do the same thing. When cutting it with ratchet cutters it will shatter instead of making a good smooth cut. I think that painting it may help however.

ABS pipe may work better. I know some people make potatoe guns from this because it's much stonger. The PVC can explode and leave you in a bad way.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I'm aware of the brittle nature of PVC. It has 3 coats of paint on it so maybe that will help some.

Also, I really don't intend for it to last forever. If it lasts until Winter then I will be very happy.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hazcon...Your stand will be fine. Where I bear hunted, the outfitter had SEVERAL stands made from PVC. They were 2 1/2" PVC (ladder and steps), with elbows at the top, also PVC. The elbows went back (at 90degress) and he had a brace that went in front of the tree. The arms extended past the tree, and he had holes in which he lagged these into the tree. He put webbing between the two pipes at the top to sit on.

I hunted from them in their 5th, 6th and 7th years that they were up. No problem. They were quiet and solid as hell and comfy.

This was with only 2 poles, and the stands were 14' high.

Just be sure to include a pic of the deer you kill!
Old 08-01-2004, 06:05 PM

looks great to me. I have a spot that the trees are onlt 10 to 15 ft. tall.that would work well there.I may build me one.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good news Pro-Line - thanks for the heads up!