Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PVC tube feeder...

Old 07-29-2004, 09:23 AM
voz
Fork Horn

Default PVC tube feeder...

Anybody built a tube feeder? What size pvc? What length...and how much corn did it hold (ie: 4ft=20lbs)..any help is appreciated..thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PVC tube feeder...

Voz, I've been using pvc pipe for about 5 years and it makes a great feeder. I generally use one about 5 foot tall and I think it's 6 inch in diameter. I attach it to a tree using duct tape/rope/bungi cords, whatever I have available. I attach it so the bottom of the pvc is about 3 to 4 inches off the ground. That lets just enough corn run out. By the way corn is the only thing I've had success with. Feed will get wet and pack in the pvc so I just use the corn. The white color of the pvc doesn't seem to bother the deer at all. The pipe will hold about 30 pounds of corn. If you put in the woods, squirrels will eat all your corn. I like to put mine in a clearing, such as a power line, that way the squirrels will spend limited time eating your corn. Also, when the racoons and possums find it, they will eat alot of your corn and the raccoons will tear it down if they can't get enough corn to come out of it. You end up feeding alot of animals but it is a cheap way to attract wildlife. I've used traps to catch alot of the racoon and possums.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:14 AM

my raccons are smart, they don't try to take down the PVC, they just dig all the corn out with there paws. They can empty the feeder in one night, all the corn is on the ground after they get done.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've done somthing similar, using a T at the bottom, but that doubles the price of the thing. Mine holds 50 pounds of corn and is about 5 feet high. Get a bucket or something to cap the top. The animals will likely tear up a plastic one, so maybe a metal bucket would be a better idea.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:03 PM

I use a PVC cap for the end, which works.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We make them and use them all the time in East Texas.

We use the following.

5') 4" Light gauge PVC (like is used for drain & vent lines)
1) Slip on cap for the top
1) 4" Y
1) 4" Drain grate like you would use for floor drains

This setup will hold about 30# of corn. We put the Y about crotch high off the ground. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. We usually spend less than $10 on each of them.

We still haven't found a good way to keep the coons & squirrels out though.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

We make them and use them all the time in East Texas.

We use the following.

5') 4" Light gauge PVC (like is used for drain & vent lines)
1) Slip on cap for the top
1) 4" Y
1) 4" Drain grate like you would use for floor drains

This is the same as I make mine and they work very well. I had a bear destroy one the night before bow season about 3 years ago. If a bear ruins one, your not out alot of money.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:33 AM
Spike

I am trying to build a PVC corn feeder that the coons and squirles won't empty so quickly. I was thinking of using a 8' section of 6" pipe that will be hung 2 feet off the ground. I plan on using a Y or a T connector and then use 2 6" sections of pipe and 2 45 degree pieces that turn back up so the corn do not go all over the ground. Do you think the deer would eat out of something like this? Basicly the pipe would go down have a Y or T at the end and t 45's turning back up. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM

Vos, go to http:// buildgear.cjb.net/ and scroll all the way down to Bushy-tail Cafe. It's has some pretty cool setups that are cheap to build. I did the one with the 5 gal bucket and used a 24" piece of 3" pvc with a toliet flange glued to the top so that I could bolt it to the bucket, cut a 1/2" x 2" divot off the bottom of the pvc( for the corn to slide out), and then put a board on the bottom of the pvc to hold the corn in and so that the squirrels had a place to jump onto.
Deb