Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats you limit?

Old 07-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats you limit?

That last three bucks I shot were 130, 124 and 123
Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 PM

anything legal here in pa, but if its early in the season, i might hold back from shooting that little 6 point. even with the antler restrictions, i know people who still shoot anything that moves so if i don't shoot it someone else will. Like this past year, i was hunting a swamp in rifle season and had a small buck walk within 15 yards of me. i counted 3 legal points on his one side and a spike on his other. he sat walking and feeding in front of me for like 15 minutes then finally ran off. i heard a single shot in the direction he ran off so i was assuming they were shooting at him. just goes to show you, that here in pa, any legal buck is down or someone else will get it. i am trying to hold off more now but still, sometimes toward the end of bow season, that 6 point looks like he has 150" of horn on him
Old 07-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trapper_Hunter........I like your standards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:11 PM

I Only shoot deer that are in bow range....
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 AM

Over the years I have set some real high standerds for myself I will only shoot a deer or elk that has lost all of its spots. and it is still breathing

But this year the state has raised my standerds a little for me. For deer in most units (all the ones that I hunt it) it has gone from a hair tag to forked horn or better. But this is ok with me I like shooting bucks more because you not only get meat but you get the bonus bragging antlers.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:41 AM

Four or more points on one side, at least as wide as his ears, and preferably at least 3 years old.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:43 AM

5 inches in length. Some areas theres a 6 pt. rule. I shoot whatever is legal.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well considering I have not killed a buck with a bow yet, any buck that gives me a good shot, with a gun it is a whole different story, with the exception of the biggest 6 point I have ever seen in 40+ years of hunting (no brow tines), 8 points or better, unless like last year it is an old buck on the down hill side.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Something that scores around 110".
Old 07-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Depends on where I'm hunting and what else I've taken. If I go to NY and am hunting public land with my buddies... we whack 'em. If I'm hunting here in Maryland it depends on the property and what I've already whacked. If I'm some place like I Ohio like 3 years ago or some place that holds a special quality of deer... it's got to be one of the biggest deer I've ever shot. In Ohio 3 years ago I already had 6 or 7 deer. I passed up 6 bucks and 3 of them the last 30 minutes of my last day that I would have shot anywhere else. I was content to blow some tags off and go home empty handed. When I left the woods that night my nephew told me he wishes I had shot one. He has a friend whose wife can't eat red meat except for venison or something wild like that. Some kind of condition. He would have loved to have had an extra deer to provide the woman. All he had to do was tell me and I know an 8 point that would have died at 12 steps.

Quick Reply: Whats you limit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.