Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great bowhunter question .

Old 07-26-2004, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Great bowhunter question .

How do we judge a great bowhunter. Is it by the most world records, the most kills, popularity within the industry, or how they bring new hunters into the world of bowhunting. This is related to the post on Chuck Adams. Just wanted some different opinions on the topic.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:58 PM

Default RE: Great bowhunter question .

I am glad you did not say "the best" bowhunter. Then we would really have a showdown.

I think a great hunter does not need fame, tournament titles, endorsements etc. I think a great hunter is one who harvests book animals with regularity under fair chase conditions. If you are averaging 125 plus animals each year....you are great in my mind.

Hunter here is also a relative term. If you have a guide with you in the tree or looking over your shoulder, you are the "shooter". (I take guided hunts and love them but only if I am in the tree or stalking alone. I realize I go on guided hunts for the possibility of seeing books animals that normally are not available in numbers in my state - for this I miss out on the scouting and plotting aspect) Hunting is the scouting, planting, plotting, shooting etc. thats what makes the great bowhunter IMHO.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What makes a "GREAT" bow hunter is the ability to consistently get close to record book animals and then make the shot.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

What makes a "GREAT" bow hunter is the ability to consistently get close to record book animals and then make the shot.
That's pretty easy to do for spotlighters and poachers and REAL easy for guys who buy pen-raised animals. You might want to expand your baseline requirements.

Maybe unswerving ethics needs a place in your definition. How about being a good role model? Perhaps being an unimpeachable ambassador for archery and bowhunting, one that appeals to the general public as well as to bowhunters?

I wouldn't call a selfcentered jerk a 'great' bowhunter, no matter how many animals he's killed. That kind of guy gives all bowhunters a bad reputation simply by association.

IMO, there are a whole bunch of great bowhunters who've never taken a book animal and will never be known outside their own local areas. On the other hand, there are a whole bunch of famous bowhunters who have a humongous list of book critters and all kinds of exposure in the national bowhunting media but fall w-a-y short of 'great' status.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

A great bowhunter is one that enjoys hunting with or without bringing home the biggest deer.A great bowhunter is someone who is always willing to help a fellow hunter and always willing to learn more themselves--Not some self-appointed "legend" because they hunt the best game farms or have shot the most record book deer.jmho.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:30 PM

I have recently started bowhunting again. I started about four years ago, after a ten year break while I was driving 18 wheelers over the road.
There was a gentleman at the local archery shop, who took the time to show me what I needed to know. Helped me tune my bow. Helped with my form etc. Super nice guy. No one else there would give me the time of day because I didnt shoot a particular bow(no names mentioned). Now Im not sure what kind of hunter he was, but that is the kind of person we need in the sport of archery, and bowhunting.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a great bowhunter is viewed in each and every persons own opion just like every other prosport. We have our herro`s of success like "chuck adams" and "fred bear" maby "Miles keller" ect. These guys have entered big game animals into biggame record books for years! some before a lot of new time bowhunters were even born. In my opion these sportsman did it becouse they love the art of bowhunting. and the love of the outdoors and the game they hunted not the money or fame unlike some money hungrey cheep tv show or hunting magazine herro.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:06 PM

A great bowhunter is not determined by how many record book bucks he put's on the ground because there are many great hunters out there that do not have those big animals in there hunting area or have the time or money to travel and find those animals. A great bowhunter is determined by how he carrys himself as a person and how he repersents the sport of bowhunting. Scouting, Planting and Shooting is only half of the equation of what it takes to be a great bowhunter in my mind.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

A great bowhunter is someone who understands the game they pursue, has fun doing it, is ethical about it, and tries to spread the sport to others.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Dominant Buck

It's all relative. Quality of animals and land available, time available, etc etc etc. It all boils down to TWO things.

1: Do you love to hunt with a bow?

2: Are you having fun?

Not much else you need to know.

Quick Reply: Great bowhunter question .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.