Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Most memerable Hunt?

Old 07-24-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Most memerable Hunt?

Just to get the you guys even more crazy till opening day.

I have been hunting for only two years and didn't even take a shot till my second year of bow season. I had already got a button buck 7 days into the season!! I was looking for a mature buck. I always go out on sunday to scout (cant hunt sun in mass[:@]) and find new sign and look in around new places. Well i had found a spot that was a fairly fair walk but had some deer moving thru it like crazy. There was some crab apple tree's scattered around the area and trails coming from all directions to them. As i was looking around for some more with a suitable tree that i could use my climber on, I found this hill. I went to the top and found a monster scape with a rub right next to it I got out my tarsal gland scent and put some in it figuring it might make him mad. Well i checked the scape the next day and found this place all tore up!!!!! He made a nother giant scrape and massacured a bunch of little saplings I had to hunt it but i got out of there so i wouldn't mess it up. A couple days latter i grabbed my Summit and got in there at noon and i brang along my rattling antlers figuring he was looking for a fight. I got up there and nothing for a long time.I used the antlers every hour or so with nottin but them #$%# Squirls barking up a storm[:@] Then i decided to give it one last mock battle. I hit them horns and even before i could finish this dear came sprinting in at mach ll[]. I couldn't beleive it!!! He was at the base of the hill and he stopped in his tracks looking at What i think was a yote and he took off in the other direction. #@%%$% COULDN'T BELEIVE WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!!

I waited for a week to hunt that stand again. I went back and looked at the scapes and they were still be maintaned so i got back up there for round 2. Ding ding the afternoon was slow as before with zero sittings. I acually fell asleep for what seem a sec but was an hour[:'(] I had 20 min left of daylight!!! I hitt the horns and that buck came running again at full speed I saw he was a heavy six pointer which is fine an dandy for me He must have been the same deer as last time. And again he stopped at the edge of the hill!!!!

I stood up but the top half of my stand fell down and hit the bottom half!!!!!!!! The buck froze like a tree. WHAT DO I DO NOW!!! I hit the grunt tube and he must of thought the stand thing was still antlers[&:]
He then came up the hill and i shot at what was about 20 yards but he was standing about 13 YARDS AWAY[&o] The arrow just cutt some hair off the bottom of him but he was fine. we had four other guys try and find a bloob trail with no sucess.

Even though i didn't get that buck he burned the greatest memory in my mind forever!!!! I did get a doe a week after that so my second year of archery was AWSOME!!! Im going crazy[] Lets hear some of your own story's
Old 07-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most memerable Hunt?

Mine wasn't a big buck...but a big one for where I hunt.

I was in a stand in late Oct on an oak flat on our farm in WV. I actually missed a doe right after daylight, and was bummed that I couldn't even put meat in the freezer.

About 10:30, I called my wife on the 2-way. She was back at our cabin reading a book. I told her I was getting down and would be back in an hour. I then looked around and saw a deer about 75yds behind me up the hill. I kept watching, and finally saw that it was a buck. He kept coming and coming...and was headed towards my stand.

He fed on acorns until he was 20yds away...FACING ME. He would not turn.

He finally fed under me, and behind me. My stand was on a hill, and he was on the uphill, upwind side. He was at about 3-4yds when I shot him. He turned to bite at some bugs when I drew. He flinched when I shot...then went back to eating. When the blood gushed out of his side, he ran about 10yds and crumbled. End of story. Here's a pic.

Won't let me download the pic....Hmm

It was an 8-pt. Nothing spectacular, but real heavy horned.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

MOST MEMORABLE HUNT..... LMAO

was... when The girlfriend and I went hunting and we were in a ground blind and ended up getting all naked... lol.. Needless to say.. not much hunting was done..
Old 07-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, Mathews...LOL

By the way, that type of hunting will cost you in the long run. LOL

I took my wife with me doe hunting with a rifle a couple years ago. She was not hunting. Just a spectator.

A doe and young one came through at about 125yds. The young deer came within about 30yds...but I held out for the doe. She finally stepped clear at about 100yds. I leveled off, (WITH REST) and shot.

AND MISSED. CLEAN! I looked for blood for 2hrs, and just couldn't admit that I'd missed. Which I did. LOL

Haven't lived that one down yet.[:@]