Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Bad Did This Hurt?

Old 07-24-2004, 08:24 PM

Default How Bad Did This Hurt?

I was shooting my bow today(Mathews FX) and when I shot my second arrow it was just a little louder than the first. I went to retrieve my arrows and find that the second one shot did not have a fieldtip in it! So I shot the arrow which weighs around 277gr. without tip through my bow with a 29 inch draw and set at 66 pounds. I looked the bow over and don't see anything wrong and went on to shoot around 8 more shots and they all seemed to hit well. Can anyone tell me if this hurt the bow in anyway or will it add stress to the bow that will make it weaker in time? Thanks
Whitey
Old 07-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Bad Did This Hurt?

No i dont think it will hurt your bow at all, in fact iv did it without knowing before to and nothing bad happened to the arrow or bow.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:38 PM

I don't think that it hurt the bow, reason being, you still had a arrow in the bow, and I don't think a 100gr or 125 gr field point will make that much of a difference. And like you said, it shot fine afterwards, I would check it over really good just to make sure, but I think you will be fine.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of people will say that many of today's bows can be dry fired without damage...I don't totally buy that.

However, I personally doubt that you hurt your bow in the least.

Just my opinion, though.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:33 PM

shot a hollow point huh. I 've done it before also and it hasn't hurt anything. My Bow is still ok, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:45 PM

Did the same about a three days ago.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:17 AM

I wouldn't worry too much. I had a new sight and WB put on my bow last year (Martin Jaguar 70#'r was what I was shooting at the time.) and my buddy was checking out the new equipment. Anyhow he drew my bow back and the string rolled off his fingers and he dry fired it. The string leaches flew out of my string, my nock points came off, and my kisser button is probably on the moon but the bow was fine.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:35 AM

The string leaches flew out of my string, my nock points came off, and my kisser button is probably on the moon but the bow was fine.
I think dry fire is like the 7 letter dirty word set. No one wants to talk about it, admit that it happened, or wish it on anyone else. I only had my bow 3 days and I drew it back to show a friend (ignorant thing to do so I have learned) and the string slipped out of my fingers. I got great flight and trajectory out of the string leaches that took out a portion of a window blind. Other than that the bow was fine. I was extremely lucky. Don't get me wrong I wont ever make that mistake again. But if you had at least an arrow on the string then you should be fine.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:15 PM

I don't know about you , but one time I got a new muzzleloader, loaded it for the first time and forgot to take the ramrod out!! KICKED LIKE %^$#@@*!! However, there was no apparent damage other than a ruined ramrod. I don't think you'll have any problems with your bow, but check it out carefully!
Old 07-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

lol captian , i was doing a deer drive to my dad he shot a doe and 2 other does ran within ten feet of him and were looking back in my direction he loaded his muzzle loader and shot the 2nd doe when i got to him we slaped 5 and he went to reload his gun , well we looked everywear for the ramrod and after finding the doe we figured out were it was a big piece of fiberglass ramrod was hanging out the guts of the doe.. lol

Quick Reply: How Bad Did This Hurt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.