Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I have BAD Form

Old 07-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think I have BAD Form

My buddy said my bow tilts to the left when I shoot.. I'm left handed...When I straighten it out, my pins are too far left in my peep.. I also hit my arm, unless i use a different grip...

Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I think I have BAD Form

sounds to me like you have bad form, or a bad setup on your bow maybe your drawlenth is to long for ya , i used to hit my arm on my golden eagle and never figured out the problem until i went and bought a mathews outback now the shop told me drawlenth was way to long on the old bow , i was shooting 31 inch arrows now i shoot 28 and a half inch arrows , maybe that is your problem ,,,,,,,i used to drill the bullseye with the old setup to so just because you hold a nice group dont mean its not setup wrong,,, hope that helps
Old 07-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Honestly, as long as your bow isn't horizontal or near horizontal, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Other's may disagree with me and tell you differen't, but I wouldn't worry about it. I tilt my bow slightly to the right when I aim. It doesn't affect my shots any, I don't hit my arm, and it's comfortable. I do it consitently. Some may call it bad form, but I'm not a pro target shooter. I'm a hunter. As long as I can group my arrows decently with the form I've got and am confident enough to take an animal this fall, I'm happy.

If you shoot well the way you're comfortable shooting, shoot that way. If you plan on becomming a professional target shooter, worry about getting that perfect form. Like I said though, I'm sure many are going to disagree with what I said so...
Old 07-21-2004, 08:08 PM

Form??? Never thought about it till i read this post. The only advice I ever recieved was hold it light, pull it back, and let er' fly. It's worked so far. What ever gets tha' job done.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

the reason you are hitting your arm could be because of the draw length but because you pins are on the left side of your peep i would bet that you are gripping the bow with a fist. this would explain the hitting of your arm and if you grip it very tightly and twist your wrist or hand at all it will torque the bow. When you cant the bow it changes some things. buy a sight with a level or install one yourself practice until you keep your bow strait it should help By the way this is how you should hold your bow

Old 07-22-2004, 10:41 AM

Nice picture, visualisation always helps.