Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone suffer from this?

Old 07-21-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Anyone suffer from this?

When target shooting, I have a tough time holding high enough. Regardless of what cricle on the target I am aiming at I always hold low. I've tried starting high a slowly lowering until the pin is on the target, but if I float too low I cant regain. I dont struggle drawing the bow back or holding it back....just aiming.

This does not happen while hunting...thank god. Any suggestions?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone suffer from this?

I just focus on breathing and relaxing. That has helped me concentraite on the target. I don't float around as much when I think about the exhale.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 PM

You may need to adjust your tiller a bit.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:17 PM

Yea, I have the same problem. I just try to start high and seem to level off.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you adjust your tiller to fix that? With my old bow I had the same problem but I just got a new bow and have no problem.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

what bow are you shooting ? how much does it way ? i never heard of that problem, most of the time the poundage is set to high on a bow so you cant hold it back as long but it sounds to me like you loose you energy and cant even hold your bow up, maybe you should try a lighter bow, im not sure what you can do to fix that problem ,, take some vitamans or somthing lol jk hope some one can help
Old 07-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dr. Kill its not a strength issue. On my old bow there was literally an invisible barrier that would not allow me to bring my arm up.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:47 PM

It's a form of target panic. It's called Freezing. Normally you freeze below the target. I suffer from it bad now. I never had it until I shot spots a few years ago. Same bow, same set up, I just started freezing below the target. So it's not a tiller problem, all mental. No matter what I do that pin will not go up! like there is a 100 lb weight holding it down. Then you get into the habbit of jerking the bow up and snapping off a shot. NOT good.

Solutions? Yes there are some, and I'm too stuborn to do them, so I guess it's my fault isn't it.

One, blind bale shoot. Stand close to a target, close your eye's and release an arrow. Just concentrate on your form and shot sequence.

Two, use a target with several dots or targets on it. Nock an arrow, draw the bow back, aim, and then let back down. DON'T fire the arrow. Do this for a few days or as long as it takes to put the pin on the target without freezing. Eventually your body will notice you are not going to release an arrow and the axniety will fade letting you hold on target. Be prepared, it is very hard to aim and not fire an arrow. It is almost instinct to this.

Three, when you do this, look right at the target, bring your bow up and draw it while still looking at the target, placing the pin on the target while you draw. This almost always places the pin right on the target from the beginning. Keep doing the above drill holding the pin on the target until you don't float down and freeze. I know it seems time consuming. That is why I haven't done it yet, but take my word for it, it works.

Four, use a back tension release if all else fails. I dont' use one, but have tried one and am considering getting one. For target shooting it is the best way to go since you never know for sure when the arrow will be release. I don't really care for that method, I like to be able control when my arrow leaves the bow. However it is the most accurate way to launch an arrow.

Good luck, and I feel your pain brother. I wish you the best of luck.

Paul
Old 07-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definetly a form of TARGET PANIC! Very simple in one way.........try drawing your bow with no arrow(keep your finger behind your trigger)......can you aim and hold on the target? I'll bet you can!

The bad news is I really can't tell you how to fix it. I've struggled for years with this. I think its often caused by getting into the habit of "punching your trigger". You may also have too long of a draw length or too much poundage.

Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP.... it's target panic. Seek a solution and start NOW... It only gets worse and soon you won't beable to hit anything. You have to start working on form, back tension etc. There was a thread on here a few days ago about target panic. I believe Silentassassin started it. Lots of good info. Been there done that. It will not cure itself. Starting high, low, left, right or none of that will give you a permanent cure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.