Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone suffer from this?

Old 07-22-2004, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone suffer from this?

Target panic--absolutely. No question about it.

Had it, been there, got the t-shirt. Probably will get it again.

One of the things that worked best for me was making a long "bowstring" that you simply tie to the ends of the bow. The hardest part is getting it to the right length so that it is relatively taught when you come to "full draw." You ARE NOT actually bending the limbs of the bow to reach full draw--just taking up the slack in the string. No arrow is needed or desired. At full draw, you don't actually have any tension on the bow limbs, but the string is taut and you're holding correctly.

Now, you can aim and any target--even in the house under no real tension and take your time putting the sight on the aiming point and eventually release without dry firing your bow. I tried it and it worked great for solving my problem.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have the shanks... just like in Golf. A mind boggling frustrating disease.

This may sound strange, but here's what I've done in the past with people with the shanks (same thing different sport). Learn by performing the mistake. What I mean is intentionally make yourself shoot low. Instead of forcing yourself to bring the arrow up, force youself to NOT try to bring it up. Make yourself feel like you're locking up and can't bring it back up. Conquer the problem by intentionally doing it and repeating it. That way you get to know what causes it and consciencously feel yourself doing it.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Spike

A friend of mine had the same problem and I was able to cure him in a few weeks. First there is a product called the cheater sling, it was designed for carrying your bow and to help you steady your shot. If you use it while you practice it will help. Eventually you won't have to use it anymore. Also, when you practice always start at your furthest distance and work your way in. This way you will be stronger for the shots that are harder to steady, and when you finish the days shooting at 10 yards you will walk away more confident and the next days shooting will be that much better.

Let me know how you make out.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Target panic...You might have it. You might not. It could be your tiller, like Double Tree said. Your bottom limb might be a good bit stronger than your top limb and, if you don't have the weights in each limb balanced, the bow could well be fighting you. If it IS the tiller and you don't fix it, you could easily wind up with TP.

Here's what you do. Hold the pin on the dot and hold it on the dot while you slowly draw the bow. Watch the pin carefully. If it pulls down and off the dot as you draw, either take some weight out of the bottom limb OR add weight to the top limb, or both. And vice versa... If it pulls UP, then take weight off the top limb or add to the bottom limb.

The idea is to get the bow to sit dead even in your hand - where that pin will not pull off the dot, either up or down - all the way through the draw cycle, aim and shot. Some bows will do it with both limb bolts bottomed out. Most need some adjustment. Some need a lot of adjustment.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip Arthur! I'm going to try that this weekend!
Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 AM

WOW. You guys came up with several great options to try. Thanks for the help.

Im hunting KS this year and dont want to miss the big one.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:15 PM

I had the same problem but I was starting high. Keep your arrow pointed straight at the target and pull straight back. As soon as you look through your peep, get on target and slower down.