Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where do "You" aim?

Old 07-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where do "You" aim?

I've taken a few DOZEN. I aim where I have to.... to make it work. I usually aime below the center line, like 1/3 of the way up unless it's a steep angle. The deers attitude and state of nervousness and the present situation all figure into the equation. I learned many many years ago about the distance a deer can squat loading his legs to get out of Dodge. The year the neighboring farm was on an extermination mission(they shot 197 deer on crop damage...day, night, rifles, all summer long) the deer in my woods were so spooky they bolted if another deer farted. They had the same crop damage deal the next two years taking around 100 animals each of those years. Their permits started in June and ran through Sept 14th. The season opened Sept 15th. Talk about spooky critters. I found myself on more than one occasion aiming AT the BELLY Line or maybe even an inch low to get center of mass hits.

If I go to some place where they're less pressured... like NY, I revert back to aiming 1/3 of the way up the body right up against the front leg. Of course the exact point depends on angle up/down/towards or away.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I picture that little chipmunk on the rib cage waving to me.

Years ago I was told to aim a little loewr then you think you have to. Ever since its been a walk in the park.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I meant last year I had to aim low because my arrows would be noisy and the deer ducked into the arrow. This year I'm shooting a very queit setup so I don't think it will alarm the deer and make them duck. After reading davidmil response I think I'm going to stick with the lower 1/3 mark though.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

All you have to remember is that the steeper the angle.... the less the drop effects you. Like for example... if he's straight down he can drop all he wants.... he'll just be closer to the ground when the arrow hits.