Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Everything a rookie needs to know about bow hunting

Old 07-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Everything a rookie needs to know about bow hunting

My advice to you would be to find someone who is an experienced bow hunter who can take you under his wing and show you various things about hunting. It can be frustrating sometimes to learn by yourself. Reading about it helps, but getting first hand experience from someome that is knowledgeable about bow hunting would be a great learning tool.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 PM

Deer Slayer 16

Welcome to Bowhunting. You are getting all good replies here, as you can see there’s a lot at goes into bowhunting. My advice if there’s an Archery Club around you join it, get to know the people who run the Pro shop near you. Once they see you are willing to listen and learn you will pick up a lot of info. The most important thing in bowhunting is you have to put your TIME in and learn from your mistakes(we all make mistakes). By doing it this way when you have success you’ll have the true enjoyment of bowhunting. I’ve been at it for 25 years now and I’m still learning and loving every minute.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:58 AM

Eveyone here has really good advise, one thing everyone is forgetting is thanking the creator for this great animal that has been put before you. And after you harvest this beast always leave a tobacco offering to the lands you hunt. In that way you will always be welcome in the wild. To all my relations!
Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 PM

And when you feel you have practiced enough , go practice some more !
Old 08-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Oh yea , learn you most effective shooting range and please don't risk wounding an animal just to say " i shot at one today but made a bad shot " let it walk there will be another day .
Old 08-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TURKEY FAN

Boy there is so much to teach you young grasshoppa!!
Good grief, now that's funny!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

You came to the right place, everyone here knows something about bow hunting, you will get alot of infomation, one thing you will deffently want to work on is shot placement, know where the killzone is on all game you will hunt, and what I think is most important NEVER shoot at anything if you aren't sure what you are shooting at. The last thing you want to say to someone is I thought it was a deer. Good luck and good huntin!
Old 08-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

twisted arrow has a great point. just dont shoot for the sake of shooting, know your limitations and hunt within them. most hunters will admit to having a bad shot on an animal once or twice......dont make it a habit. even if you dont get a shot, fooling them is fun too
Old 08-06-2004, 06:40 AM

I will just list the things that I think will benefit you the most when it comes to getting the job done in the woods........from a stand.

Everyone else has given you great advice..........and none of us can tell you exactly what to do to put a deer in front of you. If it were that easy it wouldn't be a challenge. Assuming you can get yourself up a tree with a safety harness on and settled in where you have a chance at seeing some deer.......here is what I think will prepare you to seal the deal.

PRACTICE from an elevated position........and shoot at a 3D deer target. Wear your hunting shirt or jacket to be as close to real as possible. Shoot from a few different angles and if you are not gonna use a rangefinder then move the target around and get used to estimating yardages. When you go pull your arrows don't just look where they hit.........look where they would have come out the other side on a pass through shot........this should help you with visualizing a good shot path.

Perhaps most importantly (judging from personal experience) is not waiting too long to practice with your broadheads. Trust me You have to be sure that your broadheads are flying just as well as your fieldpoints do..........an entire summer of confident arrow stacking can be erased in 10 minutes if you strap on some broadheads and they start flying every which way but straight. Don't wait until the last minute to see if your broadheads will fly straight..........if they do great........if not you will not have time to fix it and be unable to hit what you see or panic and go by some mechanicals which may or may not solve your problems.

You can shoot fieldpoints at a bag target in a T-Shirt at 20 yards all day every day for a year and while it's certainly better then nothing it really doesn't prepare you well for a breezy cold morning.....25 feet up a tree......heavy jacket on........broadheads and a pumping heart when a nice deer steps out and you have to figure out how far he is and get a clean shot at him...........all in under 5 seconds!!

Practice a lot.........like everyone has said.........just don't forget to practice for real hunting situations.

One last thing. There are PLENTY of old threads here that will tell you what you should and should not do AFTER you shoot/hit a deer in the woods. This is just as important as what you do BEFORE the shot because they don't always just fall over in front of you. Tracking can make or break your hunt.........when in doubt wait, when you've waited as long as you can stand, wait a little longer
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhh.... the deer may hear you. Remember when you practice that if your in the woods and you let out a grunt or fart or anynoise it might cost you a rack. So when you practice do it in the same manner as a hunt.