Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did it again, cleared too much underbrush!

Old 07-20-2004, 06:58 AM

Default Did it again, cleared too much underbrush!

Reason I'm writing this is because once I start clearing stuff this time of year I get pumped for the season and had to share my progress with somebody.

Went out last night and cleared my shooting lanes for this tree I'm going to put a stand in. It's about 70-80 yds away from where I got a nice buck last year but it's in a great area where a few trails come together. The problem with this place is the lack of trees big enough to put a stand in.

Anyway, I get out there last night and useing my clippers mostly I start clearing shooting lanes. I get three nice ones and decide to add one more. To do this I cut down a few small gum trees with my chainsaw and all of a sudden there's no canopy, the whole place is out in the open now. I doubt it's a big deal I just don't like disturb what the deer are used to.

Can't wait to set up my trail cam in there and see what's lurking!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Did it again, cleared too much underbrush!

If your hunting St Marys County then you have to have some nice bucks. I've seen a lot of nice bucks in the middle of the night coming back from fishing. You should also have a lot of spots to choose from. There is a lot of good property there.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:28 AM

That may not be so bad to clear out the canopy. Letting light in will promote new growth and more food for the deer. At least you did in in July and not the end of August. You should be fine for the season.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:34 AM

Fieldmouse, where do you go fishing at? If you take route 5 you probably drive right by some of the places I hunt.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Best place I know of for surf fishing on the east coast, Point Look Out. I drove up only once this spring and slammed the croaker. Like I said, I have seen some really nice bucks when leaving there in the middle of the night. We have always talked about hunting down there but already have too many spots .