Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer kill zone

Old 07-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer kill zone

One more point to make, when taking a shot you should actually be aiming for the "EXIT" of the arrow, keep the full path of the arrow in the deer in mind.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:35 AM

Good point Bobco,

If I didn't know where the vitals were I wouldn't know where to shoot. I guess we take that for granted. But a 3-d target is great once you know where the vitals are. It gives a real feel to target shooting and you can see what works and what dosen't. I almost never take a quartering toward shot at a deer. The % aren't in your favor on a shot like that. But take that logic and shoot it at a 3-d and see what really happens and how small the margin of error really is.

My 3-d has the vitals marked no matter what way I look at the deer. Some times they are hidden due to the deer position sometimes they are obvious as in a broad side shot. I think it's a great tool to an inexperience hunter as well as the seasoned hunter. Anything that makes the shot seem more real is better IMHO.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:02 AM

Go easy on Zak fellas. I am a PA Game Commission Bowhunter Education Instructor and we do a little segment in our classes where you put an outline of a deer up and then you hand the students ( Most of the students are 30-50 years old and have been bow hunting 10+ years) pieces of the deers vital anatomy and ask them to put them where they should be. And you'd be amazed where they put them! We always have a good laugh at it, but it is an eye opener. I'd say they are wrong 90% of the time.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:44 AM

I just bought a video on proper shot placement. It had that test with the location of the deer vitals on it PA Hardwoods. They also had a target deer that looked real from one side and the other side was cut open. You would shoot from the real looking side and see where you hit. You could do this from any position.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:13 PM

Check out this site http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu.../deergeometry/
It's an interactive game type of instructions that shows you proper shot placement at dif. angles. It even goes through shot placement for shots most people shouldn't make, and it tells you that, but it really helps you to think about a deer as a true 3-dim. target.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:36 PM

Just messing with ya BobCo, no bad intentions
Old 07-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

always stirring up trouble aren't you......[&:]
Old 07-20-2004, 12:42 PM

always stirring up trouble aren't you......

I swear!!! I'm not sure if it's my far superior IQ or my dangerously handsome good looks. Either way, I can't win
Old 07-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I swear!!! I'm not sure if it's my far superior IQ
Superior to what.............your average beagle[:-]
Old 07-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks OK, I think I drank too much coffee yesterday anyway.[&:]

Quick Reply: Deer kill zone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.