Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer kill zone

Old 07-19-2004, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Deer kill zone

Zak,

Do you have a 3-d target? For $60-$80 you can pick up a cheap 3-d deer and I think you'll find this a hugh help before the season. The vitals of a 3-d deer are replaceable so you can see the outline of what you want to hit.

I find shooting at a target and a deer or 3-d to be quite diffrent. On a target a bullseye is very obvious(3 or 4 rings) where as on a deer it's not(all brown target). Shooting at a 3-d target espically in low light has helped my hunting a lot. If you shoot a 3 or 4 ring target in low light you can see rings. If you shoot a 3-d in low light you get a brown target with shadows. To me it is definately diffrent. Practicing realistic situations like a quartering toward or away shots are good practice. As others can attest a 3-d target should help you get ready for the season.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get this book, I'd highly advise it:

http://www.safaripress.com/1-57157-267-8.html
Old 07-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my first year hunting deer. I'm sure you didn't know this your whole life, either.
Well good for you, i hope u have a great first year deer hunting However when i was a kid, on my way to my first hunt my uncle covered the basics, i.e shoot behind the front shoulder, dont move, take your time, ect..
Old 07-19-2004, 06:01 PM

I'm sorry if I seemed kinda snippy Turkey Fan. I don't have anyone else in my family that hunts, so it's kinda hard on me. I have tons of questions. (How else would I become a life member so fast?)
Old 07-19-2004, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

zak I think adams said it. Get a 3-D target and practice shooting in the kill zone. From the ground, elevated hights, etc. Everyway and anyway a live shot could be presented to you in the woods.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a 3-D target and practice shooting in the kill zone.
That may work for a nice broadside shot from ground level, but what will that do for a quartering away shot.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:42 AM

That may work for a nice broadside shot from ground level, but what will that do for a quartering away shot.
Trun the 3-d target on a 45 degree going away, coming toward. This is the beauty of a 3-d. Set it up a million ways and shoot all of them. Sometimes I like to set it up in a shooting lane and try to thread the needle. I practice shots on my 3-d that I'd never take on a deer and this give me the experience and confidence to drive home the shots I do take.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:54 AM

quote:

Trun the 3-d target on a 45 degree going away, coming toward.

DUHH!!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:02 AM

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html
Old 07-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Double Creek, your post seemed aweful intelligent. And I have no idea what your point (if there was one) is.

Trun the 3-d target on a 45 degree going away, coming toward. This is the beauty of a 3-d. Set it up a million ways and shoot all of them. Sometimes I like to set it up in a shooting lane and try to thread the needle. I practice shots on my 3-d that I'd never take on a deer and this give me the experience and confidence to drive home the shots I do take.
Sure you can do this. And I'm sure it is great practice for someone that already knows where the kill zones are from different angles. But how does that help somebody LEARN where the kill zone actually are, or where to aim, such as the original topic suggests. I have seen 3-d targets with the kill zone drawn in, but only at broadside. Never from an elevation, or quartered away. That was my point.

That is why I recommended the book that I did. It shows all North American Animals in many different positions including elevated stands. It also shows the vitals drawn in as well as aiming points for archery as well as gun.

There are some pictures listed on here and other places, but they are very limited in angles.

Another great source of information is here:
http://www.deershack.com/bookstore/posters/posters.html
The poster show an actual deer that disected in order to see the exact anatomy. There are also posters that show actual blood types (deer, from different hits) as well as hair types.

Quick Reply: Deer kill zone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.