Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to make that one shot count

Old 07-19-2004, 07:01 AM

Default RE: How to make that one shot count

The biggest thing for me is just to not rush the shot. Just draw, anchor, float the pin and let it go. Ok, don't forget the follw thru and to breathe.

I also find it helps me to shoot at my 3-d deer at unmeasured distances. I take my best guess at distance, line it up and let it go. It's almost automatic.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:38 AM

Funny how the "treehouse" I built for my sons in the back yard is perfect for practicing treestand shots.I've allways have practiced "timed" shooting,believe me,it really helps.I also practice shooting in a "holding" pattern,where as you have to hold a full draw any where from 15-60 secounds,and still be accurate with the shot.This method will also get you going,but it"s something that I do,and it works...Bob
zak123,Let me get this straight,You give your $20 to someone so you'll make your shot,and IF you do make your shot,you get your own $20 back,Brilliant.But then again,I know you would'nt risk losing your sawbuck to any one shooting a Mathews,because deep down inside,us Mathews guys really like you Bowtech guys!!!LOL!!
Old 07-19-2004, 08:40 AM

It all revolves around practice! If you practice the way you should, when that opportunity comes along you will react like a machine, draw, aim, squeeze, follow through.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:44 AM

People I know wouldn't be standing there with my 20 dollars, they would have left with it long before I was done shooting.

To make the one shot count in the woods, you have to execute like you do on a target.
I really believe most miss in the woods because they get excited, heart rate goes up, and they don't execute like they did on the target.
Hard to calm down when you have a good deer close by. but if you can calm down and execute your shot routine like you do on the target in the backyard, then you have a better than average chance of getting the deer.

I find excitemnet and a fast heart beat is not condusive to good arrow placement.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey I do something like that for years. I always put a 0ne hundred bill aside in the beginning of the season. If in the 3 months of deer hunting season I fail to get one I burn the 100 as my punishment for not hunting hard enough or generally just being a goof and failure. Believe me since I'm on a fixed income I will kill myself to get a deer. I will spend 12 hours everyday in all types of weather and even crawl to some spots ,since I cant walk. Have not burned a 100 yet. I even went out several times with a IV bottle on me and needle in my arm.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-19-2004, 12:37 PM

I even went out several times with a IV bottle on me and needle in my arm.
Is that hardcore or just cheap

Just kidding you cardeer. It's great to see posting a little lately. You have been missed.