Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tried ACC's....back to aluminum

Old 07-15-2004, 09:15 PM

Default tried ACC's....back to aluminum

It has been like Christmas for the past couple of days around my house. I got one batch of arrows from ebay and two more from my local archery shop. I couldn't wait to try the new ACC's. They have a white crest with red and purple barred feathers and are the nicest looking arrows that I have ever seen. I shot all five of them, careful to not aim at the same spot. Not great groups, but not terrible either. Next I tried the new Easton Maxum deuce 2213's. All of a sudden I was Randy Ulmer! I had my 7 year old twins stand back and tell me which ones were quieter when I shot. "The pretty ones are the loudest" was the reply that I got...and the reply that I expected. For whatever reason, aluminum arrows look, fly, sound and feel better to me. As much as I wanted to fall in love with those ACC 3-39's, I am going with the 2213's from here on out for this hunting season. I might put a rubber band around those ACC's and put them on the mantle above the fireplace to show off to people, but I will be hunting with 27" maxum deuce 2213's with feathers out of my Q2 @ 57 lbs.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tried ACC's....back to aluminum

To each his own, but I switched to ACCs over 8 years ago and have never looked back.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Typical Buck

The noise you hear is the feathers whistling thru the air , Mabye you got a bad set of acc's , the alum. on the inside could be bent. If money is the issue go with the alum, but if money is not an issue go to the pro shop and get fitted for some acc's based on your draw, and your poundage. I would go with another set of acc's, but any arrow placed in the right spot will do the job. best of luck.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:59 PM

Hi Mike, I have seen several of your posts and know that you have had great success with ACC's. Thought I was gonna join you, but I just can't make the switch. Good luck this coming up season.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

What were you shooting before you tried these new sticks? Those 3-39's are a whole lot smaller in diameter than 2213's and won't sit on a rest the same....ie, out of tune! Tune them in and see how it works is my advice.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two things come to mind:

1. You got the arrows off of ebay so you should probably check tolerances on those arrows. They may have been weeded out as inferior arrows and were accordingly being sold. Do you have any way to check them?

2. You don't just switch from aluminums to ACCs and expect both of them to group with the same setup. If you changed setups did you papertune or grouptune or what was your tuning method for getting your ACCs to shoot right?
Old 07-16-2004, 10:08 AM
nub

Tune them and they will fly.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:09 PM

I didn't really explain the situation very well. I am getting good arrow flight out of the ACC's, no problem there. I have yet to shoot an arrow off of my zero effect that didn't fly true. Actually, the arrows that came off of ebay are the Maxums that I am going to hunt with. The 3-39's came from my local archery shop and I could probably take them back if I wanted to, which I don't. Last year I shot both XX78 2314's and gold tip 55/75's @ 63lbs. The only thing that I really didn't like about the ACC's was the diameter, guess I just wasn't use to seeing such a small shaft. If I was going to do a lot of long range shooting I might be tempted to go to the ACC's, but that is really not an issue. I am a tree stand whitetail hunter and my bow is quiet and very accurate with the 2213's....I am happy with it and excited about the upcoming season.