Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not only can I NOT hunt in CITY LIMITS....

Old 07-14-2004, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Not only can I NOT hunt in CITY LIMITS....

THEY NOW WONT EVEN LET ANYONE FEED DEER FOR RECREATIONAL VIEWING...

Deer feeding ban approved

Published Tuesday, July 13, 2004 2:24:34 PM Central Time

By MARGARET LEVRA

Globe Staff Writer

BESSEMER -- It's illegal to feed deer in the City of Bessemer.

The city council, on Monday, adopted an ordinance that prohibits the feeding of deer within the city limits.

Earlier this year, several complaints of numerous deer within the city limits were filed with the city. After researching the issue for several months, the council agreed to ban feeding.

That's what Michigan Department of Natural Resources wildlife biologist Bob Decker from the Marquette DNR office recommended. The way to reduce the number of deer in town is to halt recreational feeding, he said. "Ban feeding. The biggest thing that could be done to reduce the number of deer in the urban areas is to eliminate the recreational feeding. Over a time the numbers would decline because of nutrition. You need to stop feeding."
Old 07-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Not only can I NOT hunt in CITY LIMITS....

I think hunting would probably help to lower those numbers even more!

Jim
Old 07-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe here in NY, you cannot feed deer anywhere. There was a women not far from me who was sentenced to two weeks in jail. Of course this was not her first offense doing it.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Spike

Yeah she was from Buffalo. They called her the Deer Lady. She was jailed for feeding the deer in the Park after the Dept. of Wildlife and Consevation ticketed her for illegel feeding of wildlife. She said if someone didn't feed them they would starve. They said that there was a danger of the deer herd contacting hoof and mouth from so much contact with humans as well as someone might get hurt by the deer. The deer population is to big to be supported by the land. Last year police shoot quite a few, still the residents won't allow any hunting thought the DEC proposed a bowhunting only.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Mathews boy I grew up in Houghton just up the road from you so I have been to Bessmer many times. I would not worry about it since the city limits of Bessmer is only about 1 square mile." Just Kidding" A few dozen arrows will take care of to many deer in Bessmer city limits.